Skip to main content
5 Inconvenient Dangerous Thoughts I Had During A Hermeneutics/Scripture Discussion

5. "Maybe Scripture isn't perspicuous."

4. "What is the 'gospel'"?

3. "That hermeneutical spiral thing you keep mentioning is a load of crap, and too much a concession to the postmodernists anyway."

2. "Maybe there's so many denominations because our final authority was not intended to be used for that purpose."

1. "Maybe there's so many denominations because we are angry malcontents and schism-artists." [So are you ready to submit to the infalliable Roman Catholic Church, and the successor to St. Peter?--ed.] No. But I salute them for provoking the question, and for providing a semi-palatable, alluring answer, even if it is highly convenient. Sola Ecclesia is better than No Ecclesia. Which is really what you've left us with, "Uncle Marty." That's another thing--James White, are you listening?--You're darn skippy I'll believe something just because the church says so. How else do we know anything? I'm super-gratified that the Trinity can be found in Scripture, but I didn't see it until someone, sometime, pointed it out. Furthermore, since someone added that firm law at some point that believing that God is a Trinity is a necessary condition of our fellowship as Christians, every one of us will see it when we read Scripture, or the ignorant will be instructed. But don't vainly tell me it's plainly in there, like we're not implicitly standing on the shoulders of giants (the ones who taught us to believe it!) when we affirm it. There was a time when that wasn't obvious, wasn't clear, wasn't "plainly in the Scriptures." We say Sola Scriptura isn't "Scripture only," and that is wise, right, and noble. But what we fail to answer is, "Where does the tradition we are explicitly or implicitly using come from?" The corollary question is nearly as interesting: "What is the consistent standard we use to reject practices we find unscriptural?" I'd say the denomination question (aside from a sinful inability to love and get along) is because we are individually relying on different streams of tradition to augment our interpretations of Scripture--which in themselves are different enough to make things interesting, BTW--and so it goes. The great Timothy Butler says essentially that the Catholic notions of authority and submission, encapsulated in an infalliable Magisterium and Church, don't solve the hermeneutical wars, but rather move their locality from the exclusive realm of Scripture to the interpretation of Scripture and Tradition, or (if we shall grant our Romish bretheren's insistence that there is one source of revelation) Sacred Tradition. If we factor out all those Catholics willfully defying a dogma or moral teaching of the Church as those needing to repent, (though we won't always know) if we should find observable variance of opinion among them AND historical evidence of standards inconsistently applied, or completely unknown even in seed form, Protestants can legitimately lay the charge of ecclesial deism right back at the feet of the Catholic, because he is idealizing a form that has no real-time referrent, and no plausible explanation of organic development. Mathison, in "The Shape of Sola Scriptura," is making this claim, the opposite of Newman's famous word on history, that history requires a denial of certain Catholic dogmas as ahistorical. For my part, that question is open. But at the moment, church history looks more than a bit Catholic. There may well be ad hoc justifications of strange doctrines, contradictions, and other problems, but I am only beginning to ask seemingly important questions, and my theology to this point answers other questions. [Wow, point #1 turned into a tome--ed.] I never claimed I was economical with words!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con

A Friend I Once Had, And The Dogmatic Principle

 I once had a friend, a dear friend, who helped me with personal care needs in college. Reformed Presbyterian to the core. When I was a Reformed Presbyterian, I visited their church many times. We were close. I still consider his siblings my friends. (And siblings in the Lord.) Nevertheless, when I began to consider the claims of the Catholic Church to be the Church Christ founded, he took me out to breakfast. He implied--but never quite stated--that we would not be brothers, if I sought full communion with the Catholic Church. That came true; a couple years later, I called him on his birthday, as I'd done every year for close to ten of them. He didn't recognize my number, and it was the most strained, awkward phone call I have ever had. We haven't spoken since. We were close enough that I attended the rehearsal dinner for his wedding. His wife's uncle is a Catholic priest. I remember reading a blog post of theirs, that early in their relationship, she told him of the p
My wheelchair was nearly destroyed by a car last night. That's a bit melodramatic, I suppose, because it is intact and undamaged. But we'd left my power chair ("Red Sam" in the official designation) in-between the maze of cars parked out front of Chris Yee's house for Bible Study. [Isn't that a Protestant Bible study?--ed.] They are good friends, and it is not under any official auspices. [Not BSF?--ed.] They're BSF guys, but it's not a BSF study. Anyway, I wasn't worried; I made a joke about calling the vendor the next day: "What seems to be the problem, sir?" 'Well, it was destroyed by a car.' As it happened, a guy bumped into it at slow speed. His car got the worst of it. And this only reinforces what I've said for a solid 13 years [Quickie commercial coming] If you want a power wheelchair that lasts, get a Quickie. They're fast, obviously, and they're tanks. Heck, my old one still would work, but the batteries ar