Skip to main content
You know, I can recall getting rather heated with a friend of mine when he read a quote from a Francis Collins book (one of the human genome dudes) defending Christianity from atheists (ironic, that) via also defending evolution. It was one of those "make your head explode" kind of quotes like, "No reasonable person of any intelligence denies the science behind evolution." Granted, I am a Christian, and a deeply "conservative" orthodox (whatever that means) one, at that. I am not a scientist, but I was under the distinct impression that science at its best draws provisional conclusions that are always testable and falsifiable, and that "what we know" can change radically based upon new information. It just seemed like a very unscientific statement from a man who should know better. I always identified very sympathetically with Michael Crichton's portrayal of R. Karp, a fictional scientist in his master work, The Andromeda Strain. Karp had discovered living microorganisms in meteorites, and, realizing that he was not in possession of a "mainstream" opinion on the existence of such life, he worked extra hard to eliminate legitimate challenges to his conclusions, so that his work might be repeated and accepted. It did not go well for him, but the other characters in the story draw insight from such work. I thought of the history of Western science in the midst of that discussion, replete with men and women mocked for drawing conclusions, that, at one time or another, were not accepted. Many saw death before they were vindicated. It strikes me that perhaps certain systems of thought (intelligent design, or Duesberg's theory of HIV, to name two notorious examples) may grow to have more explanatory power than they do at present, if the dogged pursuit of the scientific method is upheld. For all I know, I was just mad that my friend had abandoned Christianity* for what seemed to be intellectually indefensible reasons. But I told you that story to tell you this story, as Ron White would say: I made a new friend who is having difficulty with certain traditional readings of St. Augustine et al re: the resurrection in light of certain insights from biology and physics. I couldn't hang with any of it, so I won't try, but I feel the need to issue some sort of admonition in light of the problem, "separated brethren" or no: If I find some conflict with Christian dogma as revealed and some discovery or system of discovery, is it not of faith to say, "One of my premises which led to this conclusion must be in error" or, if the contradiction is only an apparent one, "The harmony of these two truths is yet to be revealed"? We should be cautious not to demand of the family of God that it answer the almighty god of Science when its sacred cows demand. Genesis 1-2 is always a barrel of, well, something, because we forget that God isn't terribly interested in solving our scientific conundrums, as he is in showing us his beloved Son. Two forgotten aspects of that text: 1. Its purpose is polemical; that is, God's chief concern is glorifying Himself over against Ancient Near Eastern polytheism; and 2. The apparent contradiction in what was made when in Genesis 2 versus what is given in Gen. 1 at creation is easily resolved if one of these if liturgical, not cosmological. [You see liturgy everywhere.--ed.] True enough. But I'll bet I'm not far off. Look, I don't have a dog in the evolution fight. Just know that I'm liable to stick up for the underdogs in every argument where a small ragtag band dares question What Everybody Knows. I'm sure I could find some fascistic Jesus-freaks I definitely wouldn't have a beer with. (Not that they'd approve most likely; I do love and respect those principled teetotalers among us, BTW. TRB, I'd have a fruit juice with you anytime, chief.) But certain kinds of evolution are quasi-religious; the New Atheists have their priests and prophets, too. It is a step of progress (pardon the pun) that the latest versions of evolution don't have such an obvious teleology; that's easy pickings for a theist, and the secularists who do this deserve the gentle teasing they get. (We call this the "Carl-Sagan-Makes-Billy-Graham-Look-Irreligious-By-Comparison" Defense, and we're totally right. Advanced alien races vs. Jesus. Which sounds more crazy to you?) Full disclosure: I could give a flying fart in the wind what the current state of science re: our origins really is. I would definitely qualify as a "literalist" in terms of the biblical text, in that it doesn't conflict with any theory I know of. Bruce Waltke is free to be an evolutionist in my book, so long as he doesn't deny the Creed (Protestant qualifications notwithstanding). I would not have asked him to resign. But if he wanted to be cool and intellectual rather than actually believe in the God-man rose from the dead, I might have a gripe. I would not teach intelligent design in a public school science class, but a Philosophy of Science class or forum would be the perfect place to discuss harmonies with theistic views, and I would not discourage it, so long as it was respectful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con

A Friend I Once Had, And The Dogmatic Principle

 I once had a friend, a dear friend, who helped me with personal care needs in college. Reformed Presbyterian to the core. When I was a Reformed Presbyterian, I visited their church many times. We were close. I still consider his siblings my friends. (And siblings in the Lord.) Nevertheless, when I began to consider the claims of the Catholic Church to be the Church Christ founded, he took me out to breakfast. He implied--but never quite stated--that we would not be brothers, if I sought full communion with the Catholic Church. That came true; a couple years later, I called him on his birthday, as I'd done every year for close to ten of them. He didn't recognize my number, and it was the most strained, awkward phone call I have ever had. We haven't spoken since. We were close enough that I attended the rehearsal dinner for his wedding. His wife's uncle is a Catholic priest. I remember reading a blog post of theirs, that early in their relationship, she told him of the p
My wheelchair was nearly destroyed by a car last night. That's a bit melodramatic, I suppose, because it is intact and undamaged. But we'd left my power chair ("Red Sam" in the official designation) in-between the maze of cars parked out front of Chris Yee's house for Bible Study. [Isn't that a Protestant Bible study?--ed.] They are good friends, and it is not under any official auspices. [Not BSF?--ed.] They're BSF guys, but it's not a BSF study. Anyway, I wasn't worried; I made a joke about calling the vendor the next day: "What seems to be the problem, sir?" 'Well, it was destroyed by a car.' As it happened, a guy bumped into it at slow speed. His car got the worst of it. And this only reinforces what I've said for a solid 13 years [Quickie commercial coming] If you want a power wheelchair that lasts, get a Quickie. They're fast, obviously, and they're tanks. Heck, my old one still would work, but the batteries ar