Skip to main content

Funeral

I willingly went to a funeral today for the first time in 23 years. I lost my father in 1989. Three years later, I ended up at the funeral for my grandfather's sister. I fell apart completely. I had to leave. I had a firm determination never to do that again.

But earlier this week, I found out that my dear friend Carol (Confirmation Sponsor Lady) had lost her mother. She and her husband know that I'd do anything for them. Of course I have to go. Just tell me when to show up. If I can get a little sentimental here, I don't think either of them realizes how special they are to me. And I'm not the only one.

Dad understands my reticence all this time, but I know he'd tell me to go, too. If I can take a moment and try to describe what it's like to lose a parent, I'll do my best, and I hope you're still with me.

It's like falling down in a well or a hole. The darkness is your anguish, but there is no floor. Somehow, time pulls you out, and you go on. But God puts the hole behind a locked door. He hands you the key. You may be able to talk about what's behind the door, but you don't open it. It's just a hole, after all. I'm not sure how I've told the story so many times without falling back in the hole.

But I go back behind the door at times, not of my own choosing. You don't really heal; you just learn what not to do. Or if you can't, you just know what a fall down the hole will cost you. My life waits, for the most part. And if not, tough. Those who are close to me have seen The Sadness From Nowhere. If not, maybe you have good timing.

I was worried today. I was worried that these people would be consoling me instead of Carol. But something happened. I don't understand it. God was there. His promises of eternal life in Christ were like the beats of our hearts. He was in the air. Today I knew like I have never known: This isn't the end. We heard the story again of how Pat made her peace with God, not only in her conversion, but in the days before she died. This was special to me in ways beyond words.

The Mass. For the Catholic, there is no purer joy on Earth. This is where the worlds meet, after all. I'm sure our words hardly do it justice, but they are still true. And so, with a few alterations, we did what we always do: sing the praises of God in His Son Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit had surely opened our eyes.

I was not overcome by sadness; the moment came when the priest mentioned "choirs of angels," and I could hardly keep my breath. It was as though the idea had a piece of glory in it.

We went to commit her body to the ground. I'm not sure I've prayed that hard before. Days like this will test your faith; days like this will grow your faith. I still marvel at the liturgy of Mother Church; whatever we might say about the holiness of the people, the people who wrote these prayers have gospel coming out their ears. I felt my soul cling to each promise like a needy child.

Let me end by saying that the day felt like a turning point: where there had been hopeless anguish for me, there is simply hope. The days ahead may be filled with tears for my friends. This is good and right. But Carol will not be like that little boy on that winter day in 1989. May the Lord be praised for that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con

A Friend I Once Had, And The Dogmatic Principle

 I once had a friend, a dear friend, who helped me with personal care needs in college. Reformed Presbyterian to the core. When I was a Reformed Presbyterian, I visited their church many times. We were close. I still consider his siblings my friends. (And siblings in the Lord.) Nevertheless, when I began to consider the claims of the Catholic Church to be the Church Christ founded, he took me out to breakfast. He implied--but never quite stated--that we would not be brothers, if I sought full communion with the Catholic Church. That came true; a couple years later, I called him on his birthday, as I'd done every year for close to ten of them. He didn't recognize my number, and it was the most strained, awkward phone call I have ever had. We haven't spoken since. We were close enough that I attended the rehearsal dinner for his wedding. His wife's uncle is a Catholic priest. I remember reading a blog post of theirs, that early in their relationship, she told him of the p
My wheelchair was nearly destroyed by a car last night. That's a bit melodramatic, I suppose, because it is intact and undamaged. But we'd left my power chair ("Red Sam" in the official designation) in-between the maze of cars parked out front of Chris Yee's house for Bible Study. [Isn't that a Protestant Bible study?--ed.] They are good friends, and it is not under any official auspices. [Not BSF?--ed.] They're BSF guys, but it's not a BSF study. Anyway, I wasn't worried; I made a joke about calling the vendor the next day: "What seems to be the problem, sir?" 'Well, it was destroyed by a car.' As it happened, a guy bumped into it at slow speed. His car got the worst of it. And this only reinforces what I've said for a solid 13 years [Quickie commercial coming] If you want a power wheelchair that lasts, get a Quickie. They're fast, obviously, and they're tanks. Heck, my old one still would work, but the batteries ar