Skip to main content

Truth, Straight Up, No Chaser

Read me. Right at the beginning. I'll accept the charge that I was biased from the beginning, in this one sense: If you don't actually live in the intellectual space where you could be wrong in protesting the Catholic Church, you could read every Catholic book known to man, but you didn't truly consider it. Seeking God is a whole self sort of endeavor; if it doesn't scare you, if it doesn't drive you to prayer, then there is something you have left of yourself on the table. Some of you are out there saying, "I looked into it, like you have, and I just didn't reach the same conclusion. Fair enough?!" That'd be fine, if it were true. But some of you never really step out of your paradigm and into the other. Any person who does inevitably gets his pronouns confused; the Catholic Church is a live option. It's a mind that straightforwardly says, "If this were true, what would it mean? What's different? How then do I test this claim? What evidence exists to support it? Is there evidence against the claim? Is there a viable counter-claim to be the Church Christ founded?" (Yes, there is. I'm happy to answer that one for you.) But let's do what Westley suggested, and list our assets and liabilities, shall we? First, if you are a Christian, you are at least hoping in the promise of eternal life in Christ. That's a pretty huge asset. When we all agree that the One we seek is "God in three Persons, blessed Trinity!" believe me, really the whole thing is gravy. All you have to do is figure out why you know that. Sounds simple, but it's slightly more taxing than it appears. God is Love! The main liability? Not knowing something about Him that you need to know. At the risk of stating the obvious, if you actually ask about the Catholic Church, more than likely, you have some kind of problem or question that has prompted the inquiry. Most normal people don't ask such monumental questions for sporting fun. Not everyone has to be an intense, emotional, living, breathing, crisis like I was. But if it didn't matter, you wouldn't ask.
You hear it a lot from people, "Oh, those Catholic converts, especially the ex-Reformed ones,"--they seem to have a momentary bit of uncharity in failing to notice that you're sitting right in front of them--"they have an inordinate desire for certainty." Why, yes! I'll accept that charge as well. You know what we call that? "Communion with God, who is Truth." If you call that "inordinate," or otherwise inappropriate, I have to ask if you've noticed your historical amnesia on this very point. And to be quite frank about it, if you didn't read books that re-packaged skepticism as some glorious treatise on humility and the Creator-creature distinction or some such, you wouldn't give this lunacy another thought. Let's get something straight: A fundamentalist isn't wrong for desiring certainty; a fundamentalist is wrong because he asserts that God is preserving him as a conduit of truth for the rest of us without any evidence. Put it another way: If a guy says he's from the police or the government, the next obvious thing you say--you're thinking it even before you read my words--"I'm gonna need to see some ID." Hitchens said, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence," and he was right, in a sense. Only problem is, he and the other atheists stopped using reason (there, I said it) and so, dismissed the most ready evidence a priori. Of course the truth of God seems like a leap. It's like Vizzini cut the rope, and you still think you can reach the top. David Hume, call your office! Wait, never mind. I digress. The point is, Kant and Descartes are also both lurking, and that's problematic. It's not a very long trip from dogmatic agnosticism necessitated by ecclesial deism and pluralism to actual skepticism and atheism, because that skepticism about reality itself is rooted in the belief that man's conclusions are untrustworthy on account of his nature. If they are committed atheists, we call them "misanthropes," if they are Christians, we call them "Calvinists." With due respect, either way, it all ends up the same. Sooner or later, someone is going to say, "If we're all hapless sinners who have no hope of getting it right, why are we gathering into communities of hapless, hopeless sinners and asserting things we cannot possibly know, given the premise?" If you don't need certainty, you don't have it to say Johnny-Bob is wrong and you are right. Why this isn't obvious, I don't know. One of our problems theologically was, we didn't care enough about our assertions in their particularity to ask from whence they had come. The only reasonable answer in theology is God. Interpretation or hermeneutics in community doesn't amount to anything unless that community is vouchsafed by God. The alternative is fundamentalism or individualism. Those terms mean the same thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con

A Friend I Once Had, And The Dogmatic Principle

 I once had a friend, a dear friend, who helped me with personal care needs in college. Reformed Presbyterian to the core. When I was a Reformed Presbyterian, I visited their church many times. We were close. I still consider his siblings my friends. (And siblings in the Lord.) Nevertheless, when I began to consider the claims of the Catholic Church to be the Church Christ founded, he took me out to breakfast. He implied--but never quite stated--that we would not be brothers, if I sought full communion with the Catholic Church. That came true; a couple years later, I called him on his birthday, as I'd done every year for close to ten of them. He didn't recognize my number, and it was the most strained, awkward phone call I have ever had. We haven't spoken since. We were close enough that I attended the rehearsal dinner for his wedding. His wife's uncle is a Catholic priest. I remember reading a blog post of theirs, that early in their relationship, she told him of the p
My wheelchair was nearly destroyed by a car last night. That's a bit melodramatic, I suppose, because it is intact and undamaged. But we'd left my power chair ("Red Sam" in the official designation) in-between the maze of cars parked out front of Chris Yee's house for Bible Study. [Isn't that a Protestant Bible study?--ed.] They are good friends, and it is not under any official auspices. [Not BSF?--ed.] They're BSF guys, but it's not a BSF study. Anyway, I wasn't worried; I made a joke about calling the vendor the next day: "What seems to be the problem, sir?" 'Well, it was destroyed by a car.' As it happened, a guy bumped into it at slow speed. His car got the worst of it. And this only reinforces what I've said for a solid 13 years [Quickie commercial coming] If you want a power wheelchair that lasts, get a Quickie. They're fast, obviously, and they're tanks. Heck, my old one still would work, but the batteries ar