Skip to main content
In response to an e-mail from a friend about gay rights, I wrote this: Actually, I could give a rip about what the government does in the area of civil unions. Go for it. The state and its affairs are different from God's Kingdom and laws. I have several conditions, however:

1. Do not call it a "marriage."

2. Should I be a minister of the Gospel, the state shall not compel me to join two people of the same sex. (Unless the Republic is collapsing, this won't happen)

3. Find some way to insulate the healthcare system and the taxpayers from the higher cost of care.

As for what you said, God's Word speaks for itself, so I need not waste time blathering about the subject. But I think your feelings on this will lead you into more opportunities to share the Gospel, and that cannot be bad. You will have a comfort level that many Christians don't have. Too many Christians find homosexuality to be the worst sin in the world, and folks can sense this. I worked with a guy who is gay. A good guy, and hilarious. Anyway, the fact that he is gay never came up. I shared my life and my faith because he's not a Christian, not because he's gay. And whatever things in life that we need to let go of, the Holy Spirit is faithful to turn our hearts from them. So, if we ourselves cling so tightly to things of this world, we would be fools to condemn unbelievers who do the same. Funny that we should be talking about this. RUF was about how we're worse than we think, yet far more loved and accepted than we could possibly know. Oh, wait! That's the Gospel! Brent Herriman (or is it an 'a') told a story about a preacher who walked into a bar where prostitutes hang out in New Orleans. One of the ladies he met had a birthday the next night. They threw a party there, and she was floored. She leaves, the preacher prays. The bartender says, "You're a preacher? What church?" (Shocked that he'd even talk to her, or the others) He replied, "I belong to the church that throws birthday parties for whores at 3:00 AM." Me too.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...