Skip to main content
I was in the University bookstore a few weeks ago when a saw a flyer for "The Vagina Monologues," a play by Eve Ensler. It may or may not have something useful to add; I don't know because I haven't seen it. What struck me was a statement at the bottom saying something like, "Working Together to End Violence Against Women." There's something I can get behind, I reasoned. It might just be a tame hook to get you on the same page with their other issues, but I give them the benefit of the doubt. A couple of weeks later, I saw a commercial for something about the play on the Lifetime network that ended with the same line. The only thing I can say about it is that it's very sad that a commercial like this has to be run. I'm not a feminist. I'll probably never be one. Save your male-bashing, thinly veiled Marxism. Wendy McElroy has had some good columns over at foxnews.com from an "i-feminist" perspective (not anti-male, not liberal), so the movement doesn't have to be the way I described.

But there's something here. These poor feminists are fighting at the margins, trying desperately to hammer into males the basic concept that sexual consent is important, when the core issue goes unresolved, the solution unnoticed.

The problem is an identity crisis for men and women. The reality is that every man and woman was created by God, and as such, He has ascribed value to them. The best that could be said of any person is that they are loved by God. How do we esteem others if we do not esteem ourselves? The foundation of human rights is God's love for those He created. A great many people conduct their sexual lives without this foundational truth.

Sadder still, American culture has for centuries misinterpreted the Scriptural witness in regard to headship, and put forth a mysogynist, twisted vision of reality. And the church let it happen. No wonder that feminism views the church as the problem!

As always, the Gospel of Christ is the solution, not only for personal salvation, but for every part of us and this creation. Later, I'd like to detail exactly what is wrong with American culture's vision of gender roles, and how to apply Scripture rightly, or at least as well as I've been taught. One cannot make bold statements like these and just leave it there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...