Skip to main content
What is inerrancy? What do people mean when they say the word? Does it mean the Bible is an instruction manual? What can we say about a specific text’s application to our lives? Does submitting to the Bible as the only authority lead to an unreasonable doctrinal subjectivism? Do we all become our own popes? Is it good to have one authority (a pope)? Why do we trust the Scripture? Why should we? Is it possible to believe in a Great Tradition of Christian Orthodoxy while holding Scripture paramount? Is there healthy, responsible non-Catholicism out there, or should we all just submit to the Vicar of Christ, and repent for following the man who ‘trampled the Lord’s vineyard’? Am I scaring anyone yet? Am I scaring myself? Yes. Why do “restorationist” (or New Testament) churches scare me more than the Roman Catholic? Why do I feel as though I will never preach or teach anything good that hasn’t already been said? Am I OK with that? Absolutely. Why do I love authority, legitimately constituted? Why do I love creeds? Why do I love history? Why is the history of bold confessions for the sake of Christ also the history of vain, destructive division? Why do I feel like a member of every Christian communion on Earth, yet I’m part of only one? Am I happy in that place? Yes. Why? Why am I a mystic, and a passionate defender of orthodoxy at the same time? Why does the phrase ‘Bible-believing’ fill me with dread? Why does setting Scripture aside or explaining it away fill me with equal dread? Why didn’t anyone tell me that purity and peace were so hard to fight for? Why were some of the great theologians of the past two centuries socialists? Why doesn’t that make me mad? Why does that make me curious, yet dismissive at the same time? Is it OK to love President Bush, even knowing I’d do things differently? Is it possible to be a Christian and a Republican (or a libertarian) at the same time without confusing the two? Should I vote in the next election? On what basis should I vote? Why am I impressed with Barack Obama? Is it because he’s good-looking? Is it because he’s black? Is it because he’s a living, breathing episode of The Cosby Show? Is he for real? Do I love my country too much?
Why do I love the Eucharist? Why does it seem cooler to call it that? How do I worship Christ in the sacrament? What was Ulrich Zwingli thinking? Why am I feeling Lutheran right about now? Why is Psalm 45 even in the Bible? Have you read that before? Did it bother you?
Am I supposed to preach? How do I know? If I’m not a pastor, why do I think like one? Why do I feel like one? Why do I teach things without even trying, like it’s a part of me? Why am I happy when I do that? Is that a calling, or simple vanity? Why are my heroes preachers, or Brett Favre? Does Brett Favre love Jesus? Does he want to? Will he play again? Why does that make me sad if he doesn’t? Why did I write this? Was it a waste? No.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...