Skip to main content
I find myself exploring my music collection again, having just added two new selections--The Killers' Hot Fuss, and The All-American Rejects' Move Along. I believe it's possible that The All-American Rejects are rejected (ha ha) out of hand by purist fans of the genre--whatever it is--because the vocals and production are so clean. But it's melodically beautiful to me. And anyone who knows me knows clean production moves my spirit. [Side rant: I hate when people get pretentious about popular music. I automatically hate Radiohead since some fans seem so intent on defining themselves in opposition to others' tastes. Not fair, I know.] Fitting that I have Creed playing right now. I figured out why so many people liked/like Creed, including myself:

1. Clean production
2. beautiful guitar arrangements
3. Spiritually ambiguous lyrics that hint at a kind of inoffensive American evangelicalism.

(3) could be bad...hmmm.

And did you ever notice that, as popular mainstream music went through its singer/songwriter phase in the 70s (Carly Simon, James Taylor, Jim Croce, etc.) Christian Contemporary Music went the same way? But--and this is the relevant point--pop music shifted to so-called "arena rock" in the late 70s and early 80s (Journey, Foreigner, Def Leppard) with CCM following. And mainstream Christian music seems locked in an epic battle between those two. This decade seems tilted toward arena rock in CCM (Third Day, David Crowder, Passion Worship Band). Or maybe we air our frustrations in brooding singer/songwriter outlets ( e.g. Derek Webb) and we express our spiritual highs with operadic rock arrangements. To me, a well-played electric guitar expresses awe and power very well. It makes a lot of sense that corporate worship music would take this form. I understand many people never liked that kind of music. However, a great chunk of these people (anecdotally, at least) seem relentlessly cynical, destined to dismiss commercial music (and its more spiritual cousin) of this type as hopelessly contrived and unreal. Creed seemed to be attempting to bridge the euphoric/operadic and the brooding in the same band. It may well be true that Scott Stapp is a pretentious dolt, as some claim, but he and his pal Mark Tremonti merged these things well, in my view.
Another example is the self-titled debut of Weezer from 1995, referred to affectionately by fans as "The Blue Album." I sense no overarching philosophical contribution on that record; it's a bunch of catchy songs with beautiful guitar backing. These guys figured out that music resonates with people on a level so powerful that one could write a song about surfing--and a nonsensical one at that--and nobody will apologize for loving it. I'm pretty critical of moronic worship music. On the other hand, it has to be simple enough to strike at that non-intellectual core of ourselves. Singing doesn't arise from the intellect, in my opinion. A guitar riff is not nuclear physics.
We worship with every part of ourselves, true. But Christian corporate singing is for all of us, irrespective of intellectual acumen, in a way that nothing else can be. Perhaps that's why a lot of people are glad for doctrine-warriors who insist upon truth and depth, so that the doctrines and experience of God's people become as immediate as the affections that are moved by singing (or guitar riffs).
"Horse-hockey, JK. You just want us to like your crappy, emotional guitar rock." Guilty. But I'm trying to make a point. Maybe we're made to feel awe and strong positive emotions. To end on a humorous note, how many rock critics are closet Journey fans because they feel compelled to be cynical and skeptical? Or how many refuse because it seems inauthentic to be awed, or to say something is pretty?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...