Skip to main content
I was reading Reason magazine online yesterday, and it made me mad. (Reason magazine is published by people who call themselves "libertarians"--advocates of largely unregulated capitalism, personal liberty, and a radically smaller federal government.) I don't disagree with Reason much, as my friends know. But this opinion concerned Terri Schiavo. You remember her, the severely disabled Florida woman who was at the center of a battle to remove her feeding tube, because she was allegedly brain-dead. I saw video footage of Terri--some current, some from several years back. I can't escape my initial reaction: "She looks alive to me." And I can't see the argument that she wasn't alive, nor that her 'quality of life' was so poor that we're saving her and ourselves pain and trouble by ending her life. I thought the Roman Catholic teaching on life and death was especially on-point here--embodied in a homily by (I think) the Archbishop of Denver, Colorado. He said that removing a feeding tube was an extra step beyond letting life take a natural course unto death (such as removing a ventilator) and would be the taking of a life. There are many people who have to eat in creative ways--why is this unique? None of us would live without food. Plenty of us breathe without assistance. Terri Schiavo did. I don't know if it is a betrayal of libertarian political philosophy that the US Congress intervened to prevent the removal of the feeding tube. I do believe that removing it was wrong, and I do sympathize with, and support, those who opposed its removal. I don't care if, as the piece suggested, it cost the Republicans their congressional majorities, or that it cost President Bush his sky-high approval ratings at the time. It was right to err on the side of life, of humility. It was right to affirm that God determines when we live or die, not us, with our subjective ideas about when life is "worth living." Dr. Kevorkian got paroled yesterday. If it was moral to deny food to Terri Schiavo because people (courts, Mr. Schiavo, etc) were able to rightly able to discern the value of her life at that time (allegedly zero), it was also moral for Dr. Kevorkian to help people end their lives, if this logic holds. But remember the outrage against Kevorkian? The entire nation was united in its condemnation. Why? You tell me, world. What is the difference between a man determining the value of a life, helping to end it, and another man who does the same for his wife? Kevorkian still belongs in prison, and so does Michael Schiavo. There's no difference at all. In fact, Kevorkian has more mitigating factors than Schiavo and the Florida courts, in that he claimed to obtain consent from patients. (Still wrong.) But we're hypocrites for pretending that one belongs in jail and the other should be hailed for protecting his wife from religious zealots by killing her.
She's long gone, and I'm still mad about it. Sorry if that puts me outside the mainstream, or makes me a zealot. Indeed, you could make the argument, consistent with limited government, that the state of Florida abrogated its responsibility to protect one of its own citizens under the 14th Amendment to the Constitution, thereby compelling the US government to intervene. The same constitutional rationale undergirded integration in the South in the Civil Rights Era, when assorted state officials violated the rights of Americans, then attempted to hide behind 'federalism' and limited government. That is, a state's power ceases when it violates the rights of citizens. And the national government, entrusted with those same responsibilities of safeguarding citizens' rights, may exercise power when others fail.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...