Skip to main content
John Amaechi is gay. "Who's John Amaechi?" Yeah, that's what I said. He was a backup center for the Utah Jazz of the National Basketball Association (I typed that out in case some untutored wretches didn't know). As you read this, take note of the evidence Amaechi cites of his gayness, for lack of a better term. He likes opera. He cooks. He gardens. This man doesn't feel he fit very well in that juvenile cesspool of immaturity that is the competitive locker room. You don't say! I would say that I don't fit very well either. Is that evidence of anything? Wisdom, perhaps. What about the other things? To which I can only reply: Are you kidding me? This is the heart of a movement changing the face of society, people who go against prevailing sex stereotypes? There is nothing remotely unmanly about gardening, opera, or even liking the Carpenters. (I'm not terribly familiar with their catalog, but "Close to You" is a great song, for one) Who forgot to affirm this guy when he was a boy? Who told him he was different? Seriously, aside from desiring to have sex with men, is there anything about John Amaechi that makes him bizarrely different than me? "Gay" is almost totally a socio-political identity with little relation to actual homosexual practice. It makes me mad, because I'm sensitive, I enjoy shopping and 'chick flicks', communicating and crying. (Enjoy is too strong a word, but I'm not anti-crying) Am I gay too? Maybe I'm just not afraid to embrace my multifaceted self.
I feel so bad for people who discover that they are attracted to people of the same sex. No matter how one comes down on assessing the issue morally, it must be terribly confusing and frightening to realize this about oneself. But I have almost unending scorn for those who lead others into homosexual practice. Indeed, I know that danger looms for all traders of sexual immorality of all kinds. That's right, Rev. Falwell, that guy in the third pew with the secret account on Jenna Jameson's website is in the same place as the gay guy you can barely stand. And so am I. In any case, I am profoundly annoyed with the aforementioned revelations. It's not "courageous" and not heroic. I sense the whole world sliding toward Hell, and apparently people just want to celebrate, well, anything that strikes their fancies. I discussed some of these issues with ESPN's Michelle Voepel via e-mail when WNBA legend Sheryl Swoopes "came out" some time ago. She was very gracious, I have to say. (Michelle writes mostly on women's college basketball, and she's fantastic at it, by the way.) I thought the far more vile sin was Swoopes' betrayal of her marriage, and the damage this might do to her children, all for something she "felt." These days, "You can't help who you love" is a maxim. With all due respect, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Yes, you can! Love is when attraction meets respect and timing. It's not like catching a cold, or falling into a pit. It's not involuntary. And it can be firmly rooted in Scripture. Rant over. (Finally!--ed.) Shut up, Ed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...