Skip to main content
My favorite political blogger (other than Instapundit--simply required daily reading) Mickey Kaus seems to think Obama is about to be jobbed by racism in tonight's SC primary. Geez, I hope not. I'll be the first to out Hillary's modified "Southern Strategy" if most Edwards supporters go to Clinton. (Not that it's her fault, but I want her to lose.) If one is truly liberal, Hillary is not your candidate. She betrays would-be liberal supporters routinely, as Ed Klein's book so amply demonstrates. If Pat Moynihan doesn't like you (and you're a Democrat) that's a really bad sign. The book details the late Senator's antipathy toward her very well indeed. (I was not inclined to dislike her until I read Klein's book. I have a generally favorable view of President Clinton, likely more favorable than he gets from most conservative Republicans.) She has never said anything that I felt deserved my affirmation. The only major vote she cast with which I agreed was her vote to authorize the Iraq war, and that vote she has stopped just short of disavowing. (which means she lacks the courage to affirm it, or the courage to admit she made a mistake.) She does not inspire; I cannot say I'll wake up after Election Day if she wins believing and hoping for the best. Hillary Clinton cannot unite America, even around the idea of being American. In her losing Iowa speech, after appealing to Democrats and moderates to join her, she said, "...even Republicans who've seen the light." What, we're former Republicans? Even if she meant extremely disaffected Republicans--likely more conservative than the president, by the way--with what could she entice them? She is the most unlikely Democrat to peel off Republican voters you could imagine. If the Republican nominee is McCain, does she really think she'll be winning independents from him? Mr. Independent would crush her. Unless all American women vote for her simply because she's a woman, she has no chance to overcome this and win the White House. If she wins the nomination, does she really think former Obama supporters will be so afraid of John McCain (?) that she could pull out a close one on turnout? She'll have to slime Mr. Likable, Mr. Black JFK just to get there, and she'll pay dearly.
Obama, on the other hand, is/has been geared for the general election from Day 1. He's Mr. "One America," remember? "No Red States or Blue States..." he says. He has indeed praised Reagan; he did utter the words, "middle-class tax cut," and "entrepreneur" in his Iowa victory speech; he has wiggle-room on health care that Hillary doesn't. He's a better, scarier opponent in November. Heck, I like him, and I'm a conservative Republican. His stump speeches range from adequate to absolutely mesmerizing. If I were a Democrat, and the choice was simply between Clinton and Obama, it's not close. I'm not sure why she is winning.

Comments

aTravelingTim said…
Hi JK!

I was browsing your blog and thought I'd wish you a belated Happy New Year & Christmas. Been a while since we've talked - I hope your studies at Covenant are suiting you! Despite my general dislike of American politics, I'm forcing myself to pay attention and enjoy reading your blog to see what the right think about all this ;-)

Best,
Tim

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...