Skip to main content
I don't know if anyone is reading this blog, but if you have, you'll figure out the meaning of this next poem quickly. I have a little more free time these past couple weeks, and so, it has been taken up with much prayer, discussion, and struggle. Anyway, when too many words tire oneself and one's closest mates, (and you still have something to say) poetry can sum things up. And I'm plain scared, though I'm excited, and I believe the Lord, the God of Israel, will give me rest. And yet here it is:

The Darkness
Who will peer with me
Into the Darkness?
Who will stand by me
As I look into what cannot be seen?
Who is my friend?
Who will hear my words,
"I know very little"
And still say,
"You are loved"?
Are You the one?
We say, "These are notions which must not be spoken"
Our tribes, each one different
Placing Another Outside
While we vainly say,
"Our Shepherd is the same."
And He is.
Praise what I do know, He is!
And curse it all I would,
But for this:
Jesus is the Christ.
Dear Lord, I must find You.
Not content with a 'mere' You,
But with all of You,
In whom the fulness of God
Dwells.
It is not the Valley of Death,
Nor even its shadow.
But surely You are with me,
As You have been
This many years.
It is quite dark
And scary here,
Quite enough
To reduce me
To unsettled tears.
In loving men I trusted,
Seeing their Charity
And Purity of heart,
But this indeed leads me here,
Where I know little.
Some say, "This is the place,
you needn't go elsewhere"
But men like every other,
If I settle quick,
I may be wrong again.
Where are You, Lord?
Why do You delay?
Do You see
The mess Your children
Have made?
Perhaps I am a fool
To think this Love
Which I have seen
Has a resting-place
I have yet to find.
But You have promised
That it would be so.
So, I press on,
Knowing the Answer
But not the question.
One thing I refuse, this I deny:
That I will decide
When the Quest is over.
This we all have done, satisfied,
While we love not one another.
"My peace I give you,
My peace I leave with you"
But not here, not now.
The only thing left to say,
"Come, Prince of Peace, come!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...