Skip to main content
"Toward A New Theology" Part 2 (more explaining)
To follow up with the last post, it would seem that any fellow-feeling between Protestants of different stripes would at best be based on those early creedal statements to which all serious Christians adhere, knowingly or not. But--and this is the key--large segments of Protestants do not even commune together! If there is any more uniting us than anti-Catholicism, you would expect this, no? Granted, in many churches, one can take communion "as a member of an evangelical church in good standing." What does 'evangelical' mean? Does anyone even know? Does it imply "not Catholic"? It sure sounds like it does. But do we believe that the Protestant dispute (which led to our separation) was a tragedy? If we did, we would do everything in our power to avoid it, as we say the great Reformers did. But did they? Do we today? I love and appreciate the Reformed contribution to the theological soup after that time. But the question remains: Are we not obligated to, AT THE LEAST, question our continuing disagreements as Protestants? That would be of the highest importance, no? In accordance with the Lord's command, that we be one? If there remains a dispute with Rome, well and good. But what they say of us is unanswerably true: That the Protestant Reformation, despite whatever good was done in terms of zeal, is doomed to produce millions of fractious iterations, all in one way or another claiming Christian truth. And this in itself is unacceptable! No wonder the societies of the world are in shambles! No wonder we have intolerable cults like Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons! Should we be at all surprised? I don't wish to foreclose upon my journey, and one of the Protestant options, nor impose the Catholic hierarchy upon myself because of what has happened. But I sympathize. You'd better believe it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...