Skip to main content
I was reminded that I had hundreds of music channels at the back of my sattelite service, I guess you might say. So I settled first on the 90s Pop Hits, then the 80s and several others (including all the iterations of soul/R&B) before landing on a channel simply called, 'Beautiful Music.' I wondered how much more generic and uninformative a name you could create at first. When I left the room, it was playing an instrumental selection from what it titled, 'What The World Needs Now Is Love.' I am personally dubious that this is the precise title, but I know the song, knowing it belongs to Burt Bacharach. When I returned, it stated that it was playing, 'Evergreen (Love Theme from "A Star Is Born").' Now I know why they can't quite describe what they're playing. It's pretty varied, but every second has been incredible. It has the alternate title of Escape, to distinguish it from others on the Sirius/XM radio network, from whence it came. If I sound like I haven't experienced much, and much of this is new to me, that's because I haven't, and it is. Actually, I heard a just a few bars from this cat named Andy Williams (who I have heard of, barely) and no wonder old people say their music is better than mine. It is! There was a little Elvis sprinkled in earlier. You really can't go wrong with him, right? Personally, I'd call the channel Long Flowing Elegant Music Men Say They Hate (But Are Lying). At some point in the last century, contemporary classical collided with American pop, and we got everything I'm hearing as a result. I'd swear I've heard several songs from musicals, which you'll never hear me complain about. (OK, I listened to the soundtrack for 'Rent' once, and thought it was immoral and puerile.) Oh, my goodness! 'We've Only Just Begun'! I love you Richard! And Karen! I said I could go to bed when I heard The Carpenters. It's all good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...