Skip to main content
Time for another list, and so:

The Five Creepiest (no offense) Aspects of the Rosary/Mariology For Sympathetic, But Questioning Protestants:

5. The Rosary's length and repetition. [Protestant Slogan: "Liturgy is Bad." And, "Anyone Who Prays The Same Thing Twice Is Up To Something."]

4. The Apostle's Creed. Apparently, even the US Catholic Bishops don't like "he descended into Hell" which has become "he descended to the dead." [Even the Reformed are generally comfortable with it, though we don't mean what we say when we say it.]

3. "Hail Mary, full of grace." Aside from this first line, everything else is objectively true and right from Scripture, mostly the words of Elizabeth, the mother of John the Baptist. (Naturally, one first must be comfortable talking with Mary and the other saints.) [Snark Alert: Has anyone ever pictured John as a Southern, American, suit-wearing, non-drinking, non-dancing Baptist while reading the Gospels? Or is that just me?]

2. The virtues allgedly cultivated by each of the Mysteries. How do we know this? Have all of the faithful practioners reported the same thing? What if I don't? Worse still, what if nothing at all happens?

1. The "Hail, Holy Queen." My Protestant brethren, if you think the Hail Mary is bad, this one takes the cake. I thought this was hyper-dulia, (veneration, respect) not latria, (worship, reserved for God alone) but I must confess, the distinction is hard to see practically. Catholics say that latria more specifically denotes sacrifice, which they do not offer to Mary or the other saints. I'll let you know if or when I am persuaded by this argument. [Underlying dogmatic problem: The notion that Mary was not a sinner. If you get square with that, it would seem, her co-redemptive place is assured.]

Bonus Note: If I do make all or part of the Rosary part of my devotional life, the Gloria Patri (The "Glory Be") will have to be sung. Thanks, Christ Our King Pres. It's just natural, and altogether right.

Comments

Jamie Stober said…
Jason,
3. It's actually the first part that I can affirm and would even say should be used in Protestant Christmas liturgies. It's the petition at the end that bothers me: "Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death."
1. You say: "Underlying dogmatic problem: The notion that Mary was not a sinner. If you get square with that, it would seem, her co-redemptive place is assured." I'm not sure it would be. Mary's role is indispensable in redemption history, but I really have trouble with the idea that Mary participates in redemption in as direct a sense as Rome teaches she does. I have to affirm the Protestant assertion that Christ's merits and actions alone have directly achieved our redemption. Of course, though, all of us participate in this redemption in an indirect sense.
Jason said…
Jamie:

What bothers you in this bothers me very little, if at all. Because if these saints who have died are alive and with God, seeing Him in glory right now, I most certainly appreciate any assistance they can offer, and this includes Mary. Though it seems irrational to believe that she never sinned at the moment, surely we can take comfort in this plain fact: Mary is not a sinner NOW (nor are the others).

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...