Skip to main content
5 Post-Masters Thoughts



5. The group is kind of eclectic in the last few years--lots of foreigners at the top, and near the top.



4. I'm glad Tiger didn't win. Tiger has some living and growing to do; adding to his legend at a time like this would be really bad for him (and others).



3. Jim Nantz rules. He's approaching the Costas Zone, for those who need to be on my TV at key sporting moments.



2. Some people may not like how the Masters controls everything--including what you see the first two days--but it does add to the mystique of the thing.



1. I was not a fan of Phil Mickelson before this. I didn't even have a reason. But now, I am. And of Mrs. Mickelson too. And every day that Phil and other players are adultery-free...let's just say it should be part of the rankings.

Unrelated Side-Rant: "Protestants do good things, but..." I hear sentences like this these days, as I spend a great deal of time with observant orthodox Catholics. It may well be that the Catholic Church is the one Christ founded. It may be that various Protestants are mired in layers of heresy and schism. And the Catholic has much to boast about; what little I know of your saints is enough to enrapture the heart of any Christian with Christ. (No eschatological pun intended) I also would note that if anything surely subsists in the Catholic Church, it is the intellectual capital of what's left of the "Western" world. Thinking Christians of all stripes heartily thank you (as we thieve whatever is useful). THAT SAID...You do not know what spirit you are of, (AKA Ya Betta Check Yo'self Fo' U Wreck Yo'self) friend. As you lament the weakness in your own ranks, as you watch and pray weighed down with tears, do well to remember that I, along with scores of my brethren, may be the cavalry coming over the hill. One can say one knows that the Spirit works mightily outside the visible Body (Romishly defined); it is another thing to know intimately that truth because you've lived it. What can I say? You wish to know the people I know. The kind of people you pray to meet each day, Catholic, these are the people I know. If we will be reunited, all I can say is, you have no idea what's coming. It's enough to make a man triumphalistic. What I've seen, who I've known, what we've done by itself makes Rome's claims seem preposterous. You'd think He had it all backwards, honestly. Please, I beg you, take a moment to imagine us out here. If you caught a glimpse for a second of what a whole Church would be, I daresay you would not be so quick to move from the thought.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...