Skip to main content
It must be anti-neocon week at the BBC. [Isn't it always?--ed.] Another episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation was amazingly timely and political on BBC America:

"The Drumhead"-- Starfleet Admiral Norah Satie (played by Jean Simmons) comes aboard to investigate an apparent sabotage of the dilithium crystal chamber which powers the warp drive. A Klingon who came aboard in an officer exchange turns out to be a spy for the Romulans. Following a lead prompted by the intuition of Satie's Betazoid assistant, (for Betazoids are telepathic) Ensign Simon Tarses is discovered to have lied on his application to Starfleet. He lied about the race of his grandfather, saying he was Vulcan when he was, in fact, a Romulan. Satie uses this revelation to expand the investigation well beyond its initial goals, even after the crew determines that the explosion was an accident. Satie brings Captain Picard under the scrutiny of her tribunal after Picard tries unsuccessfully to stop the hearings. Admiral Thomas Henry ends the proceedings, which were quite different from the able decisions of Satie's father, a famous jurist.

Intriguingly, Admiral Satie is mentioned as the one who ordered Picard to take command of the Enterprise. ("All Good Things...", the final episode of the series) I find it compelling that the disaster or terror scenario is given as the pretext for the abridgment of liberties. Though it may be dismissed as idealistic, this episode ably shows that the disaster scenario provides an opportunity for the limitless expansion of state power.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...