Skip to main content
It's a true statement that this blog is about Jesus. It is also true that it's about me. Even still, this blog often concerns itself with music. I don't know much about music; I haven't heard much from before the rock age that is not a hymn, a Christmas song, or something unavoidably pervasive. That is a failing. I used to dislike classical music, because I thought pretentious snobs listened to it, but this is not always true. I enjoyed Holst's "The Planets" very much; another friend thought I'd really like Tchaikovsky (sp?) because of my affection for love songs and balladry; we'll see. But between 6 and 12, I heard this, this, and this most often. That's real music, son. I like tons of stuff, but in some way or another, it's all variations on a theme (whatever it is). You can't trust my opinion of music composed before 1960, largely because I am unfamiliar with most of it. I'm sorry. I will always bristle at the suggestion that training would cause me to disdain the music I like now; I can't even fathom that. It's one thing to have a little less affection for your Donny Osmond records than you once did; it's another to pretend it didn't matter at all. I'm just one of those "soundtrack to our lives" kind of people; songs aren't just songs. Some may be less heavy than others, some don't even make sense. But they all mean. I can't link you to the first song I thought of when I wrote that; I don't want to sob. But I'll tell you what it is: "The Living Years" by Mike and the Mechanics. Forget the keyboards and the bad hair, please. Just listen to the words. Realize what kind of moments write a song like that. Some people don't like that much emotion, that kind of pain. I think some people think they are not allowed to touch something so deep inside themselves. That's unfortunate.
Just be careful: Your "disgusting, saccharine-sweet" might be someone else's catharsis.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...