Skip to main content
So there I was, reading Jurgens on the Fathers, (pp.87-89, for those scoring at home) when I came across this breathtaking paragraph from (St.) Irenaeus:
“It is possible, then, for everyone in every Church, who may wish to know the truth, to contemplate the tradition of the Apostles which has been made known throughout the whole world. And we are in a position to enumerate those who were instituted bishops by the Apostles, and their successors to our own times: men who neither knew nor taught anything like these heretics rave about. For if the Apostles had known hidden mysteries which they taught to the elite secretly and apart from the rest, they would have handed them down especially to those very ones to whom they were committing the self-same Churches. For surely they wished all those and their successors to be perfect and without reproach, to whom they handed on their authority.”
Yikes. Give me a moment. [Birthing a Reformation-era bovine with a tasty, er, um, disposition, God-willing.] OK. A few things to notice here: First, unless The Artist Formerly Known As Joseph Ratzinger has some mischievous buddies who erased his short-term memory, spirited him off in Bill and Ted's phone booth, (let the reader understand) took him back to the late second century and started calling him 'Irenaeus' just to mess with him, this kat sure sounds like a present-day Catholic apologist on this point. I've heard the phrase 'apostolic succession' almost as much as 'grace builds on nature' in the last year and a half. Ahem. Anyway, I eagerly await a Protestant/Reformed answer on two curious points: 1. What do we do with that word "bishop"? Or, more bluntly, who is it, in our system? Bonus question: What do we do if our more democratic approach to church government is not found anywhere in pre-Reformation church history? 2. The physical succession of bishops seems quite connected to doctrinal truth for many of these kats. Is this significant? Why would the magisterial Reformers (pardon the phrase) reject this after consenting to it without incident their whole adult lives until the split? 3. Would severe sin and corruption necessitate a whole new method for ascertaining truth for Christians? Or, could the sin be named and removed?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...