Skip to main content
I've been away for a few days. The internet has been down at the house; I think the previous residents (my mother and stepdad) forgot to pay the bill again. [Would you pay it, if you didn't live there?--ed.] They said they would, through this month. Anyway, my grandfather was in town; my big-mouth mother told him about That One Thing At That Secret Place. He's Church of Christ. He matter-of-factly stated that I was looking into a cult. I recovered, though: I told him I was doing research for a book. (Totally true.) I will never again speak ill of anyone whose family relations present a difficulty for them. I need to be honest here, though: I utterly hate the Restorationist movement. I hate most of its theology, its hostility toward other Christians, its antipathy for serious theology, its view of history, and the rather prevalent tendency toward fundamentalism. I love many people in those churches, not least my family. But I gotta call it like I see it. [That denial of original sin is a deal-breaker, no?--ed.] I'd like to think that mistake is a product of an abiding anti-clericalism, not an affection for the Pelagian heresy, but I'm probably wrong. In my grandfather's mind, church authority=occasion for sin and lust for power, nothing more and nothing less. I asked him how he knows he is not a law unto himself (in a bad way) owing to the fact that he is relying on his own interpretation of Scripture. He didn't seem to understand. The Scripture is clear, he says. We had the perfect illustration of how it isn't when we began to discuss infant baptism with my sister. Yes, this really happened. I didn't call him on the carpet when he mocked the concept of original sin. I should have. [But baptism is a peripheral matter.--ed.] Not when the human need for grace (in either Catholic or Protestant conceptions) is up for debate. This is the kind of crap that makes me want to be Catholic. You can hide the individualism and rebellion behind layers and layers of ecclesial authority if you want to, but at bottom, it's a spirit of willful Christ-denial. One day, you're disputing the universal jurisdiction of the successor of Peter, the next, you've cast your lot with Pelagius (and admittedly, the second is much, much, worse). We're on pins and needles, Keith Mathison. Answer me this: Why shouldn't I be Catholic just to protect what I believe now? (God be praised) Isn't my generation leaving Christian communities in droves? Ever ask why? Maybe it's because they want truth, and they can see you don't have it, or can't defend it. We hit the Roman Catholic Church with every argument and nasty name we could collectively think of, and she's still there. Granted, you'd think she's trying to destroy herself from the inside half the time. But one thing I know for absolute sure: the evangelical affection for fads mixes uneasily with fideistic apologetics and hypocrisy, and Presto! we're dropping like flies.

Comments

I think fidism is the big problem. If the Reformed would just be Reformed...note the fastest growing group, though, would be the Pentecostals.

I stilt think you need to puruse your critical methodology further. To say we cannot agree on some things is not the same as to say the text is opaque. Plus, you know how I like to shift the same question onto the magisterium.

Popular posts from this blog

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con

A Friend I Once Had, And The Dogmatic Principle

 I once had a friend, a dear friend, who helped me with personal care needs in college. Reformed Presbyterian to the core. When I was a Reformed Presbyterian, I visited their church many times. We were close. I still consider his siblings my friends. (And siblings in the Lord.) Nevertheless, when I began to consider the claims of the Catholic Church to be the Church Christ founded, he took me out to breakfast. He implied--but never quite stated--that we would not be brothers, if I sought full communion with the Catholic Church. That came true; a couple years later, I called him on his birthday, as I'd done every year for close to ten of them. He didn't recognize my number, and it was the most strained, awkward phone call I have ever had. We haven't spoken since. We were close enough that I attended the rehearsal dinner for his wedding. His wife's uncle is a Catholic priest. I remember reading a blog post of theirs, that early in their relationship, she told him of the p
My wheelchair was nearly destroyed by a car last night. That's a bit melodramatic, I suppose, because it is intact and undamaged. But we'd left my power chair ("Red Sam" in the official designation) in-between the maze of cars parked out front of Chris Yee's house for Bible Study. [Isn't that a Protestant Bible study?--ed.] They are good friends, and it is not under any official auspices. [Not BSF?--ed.] They're BSF guys, but it's not a BSF study. Anyway, I wasn't worried; I made a joke about calling the vendor the next day: "What seems to be the problem, sir?" 'Well, it was destroyed by a car.' As it happened, a guy bumped into it at slow speed. His car got the worst of it. And this only reinforces what I've said for a solid 13 years [Quickie commercial coming] If you want a power wheelchair that lasts, get a Quickie. They're fast, obviously, and they're tanks. Heck, my old one still would work, but the batteries ar