Skip to main content
It's raining like the dickens at my house. I know what you're wondering: "Is it raining like Charles Dickens [morose and oppressive] or like country music legend Little Jimmy Dickens [small, but kinda fun]?" We'll go with a Jimmy rain. Random Unprovoked Song Lyrics Break: "She's my kinda rain/Like love from a drunken sky/Confetti fallin' down all night/She's my kinda rain." I kick myself every single day for not writing that song. I've never heard a more interesting collection of similes in such an accessible form in my brief life. Anyway, I was out with a friend tonight talking about the future, and I admitted to myself and to her that I want to write. It makes me happy. I know that more discipline is required if I am to make a life of it; I also know that I'm too pleased with what I create; Like Pilate, I say, "What I have written, I have written." Hey Anne, if you happen to read this, all the parts of "The Woods" can be found here. I don't think it's a particularly good story, but it's mine, and it's going somewhere. I heard it called "preachy," and I think that's true. But to me, I don't view that negatively. This particular vision has as its truth directness, and I have to keep that at the heart always. If that runs the risk of being simplistic or maudlin, that's a tension you walk in knowing your humble author. Am I sounding defensive here? You'll know my intentions are to make you like most of the characters. I want you to find yourself in them. On the one hand, often we resonate with deeply flawed characters and the things that fell them; on the other, we triumph in them, too. I'm hoping by the end of the ten or more parts, you'll feel like you just climbed a mountain of emotion and humanity.
Also, I really want to try my hand at a story set in the Star Trek universe after this; I live in this world often in my imagination. I love it deeply, and want to join that fraternity of its caretakers, even if it ends up "non-canonical." Wish me luck. [Aren't you writing the Catholic-Reformed "dialogue" book right now?--ed.] Yes. "St." Justin should know that the chapter involving him is nearly done. Anyway, Star Trek. One of the still-underrated cultural frames in history, and I want in.

Comments

Anne said…
Hey, look, for the first time ever I have the ability to comment on your blog.

Every aspiring, seriously aspiring, writer these days reads Anne Lamott. I commend 'Bird By Bird' to you.

Thanks for the link to your fiction, I'll have to start over from the beginning :)
Jason said…
Anne,

Thanks for stopping by. Noted, as I like to say. I hope reading other people's books doesn't foul me up.

Popular posts from this blog

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con

A Friend I Once Had, And The Dogmatic Principle

 I once had a friend, a dear friend, who helped me with personal care needs in college. Reformed Presbyterian to the core. When I was a Reformed Presbyterian, I visited their church many times. We were close. I still consider his siblings my friends. (And siblings in the Lord.) Nevertheless, when I began to consider the claims of the Catholic Church to be the Church Christ founded, he took me out to breakfast. He implied--but never quite stated--that we would not be brothers, if I sought full communion with the Catholic Church. That came true; a couple years later, I called him on his birthday, as I'd done every year for close to ten of them. He didn't recognize my number, and it was the most strained, awkward phone call I have ever had. We haven't spoken since. We were close enough that I attended the rehearsal dinner for his wedding. His wife's uncle is a Catholic priest. I remember reading a blog post of theirs, that early in their relationship, she told him of the p
My wheelchair was nearly destroyed by a car last night. That's a bit melodramatic, I suppose, because it is intact and undamaged. But we'd left my power chair ("Red Sam" in the official designation) in-between the maze of cars parked out front of Chris Yee's house for Bible Study. [Isn't that a Protestant Bible study?--ed.] They are good friends, and it is not under any official auspices. [Not BSF?--ed.] They're BSF guys, but it's not a BSF study. Anyway, I wasn't worried; I made a joke about calling the vendor the next day: "What seems to be the problem, sir?" 'Well, it was destroyed by a car.' As it happened, a guy bumped into it at slow speed. His car got the worst of it. And this only reinforces what I've said for a solid 13 years [Quickie commercial coming] If you want a power wheelchair that lasts, get a Quickie. They're fast, obviously, and they're tanks. Heck, my old one still would work, but the batteries ar