Skip to main content
I woke up singing. That has to be good, right? "Praise to the Lord, The Almighty." It's either the first or second in the Trinity Hymnal, (PCA, OPC) I think. I don't know for sure, because I haven't seen one since I was at Christ Our King. But I sang it through twice. No, I didn't miss any words. It's a staple. If you believe the words of this hymn even a little, you're a different person, a new person. Note to the bishop of Rome: Steal the Trinity Hymnal now. If you are the shepherd of all of Christ's sheep, everything good and true belongs to Him and you anyway, right? I wouldn't mind a little editing here and there. On the other hand, most of the tunes are way too melodic for the average Mass. No offense. So maybe you can use it for kids or something. I was talking to Jesus yesterday, and I remember wondering with him what I'll miss most about the PCA, should I choose to accept this Mission: Nearly Impossible. And I said, "The hymns and the people. But I repeat myself." Isn't this right? What good is a song, if you don't share it? I always hear it in the voices of my friends and brethren, even when it plays in my head. [Of course you would say that; you're dangerously close to becoming known as, 'The Guy Who Sings All the Time.'--ed.] You forget, dear Editor, I barely sang at all until I was baptized. Whatever it is, it's a new thing. [You sang at that RUF men's retreat almost 12 years ago.--ed.] That was a song about a girl. Grace builds on nature; it doesn't destroy it. Anyway, I always hear "Praise to the Lord, The Almighty" in the voice of 'The Real Deal' Joe Choi. We called him 'The Real Deal' because we had attempted to affix it to another member of our group, Brandon Teel, but somehow, it failed, at RUF Summer Conference '99. Jim Frese (say, FRAY-zee) thought it would be funny to try to stick it to someone whose name didn't rhyme at all, and it stuck. To this day. We also realized that we started calling Joe 'The Real Deal' (or just 'Real Deal') because that's the kind of guy he is. Maybe he took it as encouragement in godliness the whole time. In any case, one time, we had come back from some trip, (and most of those were ended officially by Sunday worship) and Joe ended up next to me. We sang the hymn, and I promise you, his voice sounded like the most beautiful thing I'd ever heard. So I told him so, minus the superlative. Somewhat embarrassed, he said, 'Aw, I'm not a good singer.' And maybe not. But it made me realize that unlike "AI" judge Randy Jackson, Jesus doesn't care if you are 'pitchy.'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...