Skip to main content
Wednesday "If there was/were a chapel, I'd skip it" Edition: [You're evil and unpious.--ed.] I should say not. In fact, there is a legitimate question whether I'm free to attend chapel, now that...we'll get to that. [I hate you for this.--ed.] I'm sorry; it had to be done. Are you going to leave me? [To whom shall I go? You ignore the words of eternal life.--ed.] Oh, stop it. [But in all seriousness, I can't leave you. I love you; I'm a part of you. I think you're completely wrong, that you go to the "high places," but I go with you, if only to keep watch. If I go, you'll forget everything we've learned so far. You'll forget our people.--ed.] A very Jewish way you say that. [It was purposeful.--ed.] And I can't do that; I never would.
One thing I love about where I am is the theological journal we get as students here: the Presbyterion. Always awesome stuff. That one guy with the evil twin brother named Clarence wrote one: "Toward a Hermeneutic of Imitation: The Imitation of Christ in the Didascalia Apostolorum." I'd bet "Uncle Bryan" would read that, especially to check in on his old classmate.
But our humble journal is the best, and most interesting material heresy I've ever read. [I know, right?--ed.] Here's my strategy: There are 3 essays in every issue. I see by the titles which ones grab me irresistibly (An essay titled, "Really Exhibited and Conferred: [Baptismal Regeneration somethingorother]" by Rich Lusk still wins the prize for the greatest thing I've read in it all time. I love you, Rich Lusk.) and then I am effectually drawn to read Jim Pakala's contribution every time. He always titles it, "A Librarian's On [Somewhat obscure passage of OT Scripture you've never read, or barely so]". Sheesh. Some librarian. This guy is possibly the smartest man at this whole place. If you need to be intellectually humbled, just read anything this guy writes. And it's the best &^#! thing in the issue every time. Step 3 is to look for 1) anything in the issue written by Calhoun, and 2) "Captain Jack." The final section is book reviews, and as a person who reads books (though not enough, and not the right books, it would seem) this might be my favorite part.
Anyway, I unashamedly keep issues from 5 years ago. I told the editor it was possibly my favorite part of this school. True truth. I'd give them away to my educated hawkmaster friends and pianists and whatnot. A seminary education minus the $6000 or whatever it is now per year.
Oh, and I'm Catholic. All the way. The End. (For now.)

Comments

Unknown said…
I wondered how long you'd wait with the Tiber water pooling up at your feet before you'd say something here, comrade. :-) In any case, surely you can attend chapel if you wish, no? That would be awful if you couldn't ever worship with your Protestant brothers and sisters.
Bryan Cross said…
Welcome home, my friend.

In the peace of Christ,

- Bryan

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...