Skip to main content
5 Random, Disconnected Thoughts For Today

5. The reason TD Jakes gets invited to prominent evangelical conferences is that there's no definitive final authority for doctrine beyond the self, AND they may be a teensy bit racist. Just sayin.'

4. I will not vote for any of the Republicans that happen to have an 'r' in his last name.

3. Nor will I vote for a Mormon. My Trinitarianism is firm.

2. That's right, the evangelical insistence on creedalism is entirely arbitary, though admirable, and it takes a pretty recalcitrant heretic/fundie for anyone to notice the problem. Keith Mathison already pointed out the problem, even if he refuses to see it.

1. I am a good time!!!

Comments

Jamie Stober said…
So you would vote for an evil Trinitarian (hypothetical)? Would a vote for a Mormon constitute a lack of firmness in Trinitarianism? My vote for Romney should that situation in which he is the lesser of two evils arises (Romney does not have my vote in the Republican primary for policy reasons) would in no way be an endorsement of his heretical theology. I would make that clear. If he was the Republican nominee and I met the dude, my cut-through-the-crap response would be something like, "You might have my vote in this commonwealth, but I could not vote for you for dogcatcher in the Kingdom of God. Please, sir, I beseech you by all the mercies of God, embrace Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, one God, Him only be praised, world without end, Amen." If Romney wins the Republican nomination, it is my prayer that Christians who endorse him will make this clear. I think it would be a good moment if they did. It would express coherence in how Christians deal with politicians of other religions in a pluralistic democracy and proclaim the foundational importance of the Triune God for authentic Christian faith. I fear the response you are proposing would actually result in greater confusion about why Mormonism is objectionable, and the opportunity to clarify and magnify the importance of the Most Blessed Trinity might actually be missed. Mormons are generally good citizens and upholders of virtue. We should recognize this. Mormonism is assuredly a grave Christian heresy, but if we refuse to recognize their contributions in the civil sphere, cultural anti-Mormonism (a mostly visceral prejudice against an historically mistrusted and mistreated religious minority with some goofy practices and a controversial history) rather than a stout defense of the Christian faith will be the message the American people receive from socially conservative orthodox Christians. And nothing will say that we reject Mormons as our neighbors more emphatically than a refusal to vote for one in light of the alternative. Do keep in mind that the Democratic negatives on Mormons are higher than the Republican negatives, and we know why.
Jason said…
For all we know, Romney is himself exceedingly virtuous and wise. But his religion as taught poses an undeniable threat to the Church of Christ. Its infiltration through the Frankenstein monster that is evangelicalism is already under way. Unless the content of our faith reduces to virtue-ethics, we cannot allow this. Its chief danger is that it claims, and aspires, to be Christian, not that it fails. What will mainstream the Christological falsehood of it faster than a President who believes it?

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...