Skip to main content
Carl Trueman is as Protestant as Protestant gets. I read his articles, and I never get the sense that he is changing his mind. But he inspires me. I know Bryan is a fan, precisely because Trueman is willing to tease out the implications of what he believes (and what he doesn't) and to live with them. He's not on a team, as it were. If some piece of the historical data or some ecclesial consideration gives grist to the papists in the court of public opinion, it's no concern of his, long as it's true.
What I can recall is thinking that the ground of my dissent or disagreement with the Catholic Church had to be strong. In that, I agreed with Trueman, who wrote that Catholicism was the default position in the West. I could appreciate also the opinion that we as evangelicals needed affirmative reasons to be what we were. If we found ourselves in agreement with Rome, we should return. All this is true, and it had to be so, for the sake of the dogmatic principle, as Newman would say. The Eucharist cannot be the body and blood of Christ in the Catholic sense and in the Reformed sense at the same time. We certainly knew how to cherry-pick from the ancient authorities when it suited us, but sooner or later, the cocktail party politeness of the ecumenism of ignorance will die in the harsh reality of the contrast between the Council of Trent and St. Thomas on the one hand, and the Heidelberg Catechism question 78 on the other. We can't paper over these differences, no matter how hard Michael Green might try. We liked to use the words, "Eucharist," "Body & Blood," "real presence," and the like, but we were toying with dynamite, to allude softly, if I may. I know for my part, I had forgotten all the blood spilled over the precise meaning of those words. We had no right to forget it or soft-pedal it, either by ignorance, or for the sake of a revisionism occasioned by a collapsing ecclesiology. If the so-called "conversionist" evidence could be harmonized with other patristic evidence suggesting at first a more symbolic Protestant view but didn't (because you can't harmonize contradiction), and it led back to a visible, authoritative community, I would have my answer. And it did. Orthodoxy on this and other matters was determined primarily, if not exclusively, by visible communion with the bishop of Rome in the earliest days. If I were to tell an alternate story centered around the Reformers in the 16th century, I'd need a pretty definitive hermeneutic from Scripture, because I'd rejected the accepted authoritative arbiter of Tradition in use at the time. I'd also need it to be strong in order to justify a rival ecclesial authority, and by extension, a new arbiter of Tradition (even if we dared to claim we didn't have it). When you've reined in all the myriad claiming to believe and teach "what the Bible says," you let me know. Not that this in itself means anything, as long as I thought I was right in my hermeneutic. But I began to ask, "What if I'm not?" And, "What is the nature of the authority wielded by my forefathers and community?" If that authority is neither dispositive against other claims nor intended to be final, how could I, as a representative of it, claim to preach the word of God?
You may have noticed that much ink virtual and real has been spilled over the idea of apostolic succession. The beauty of this argument is this: As it turns out, this claim means precisely squadoosh without papal primacy. To have a visible hierarchy without an ultimate visible principle of unity is pointless. You can definitely tell the Orthodox to can it if you are Protestant, because the picky-choosy among them vis a vis the Councils is no less ad hoc than anything Zwingli et al cooked up. If anybody finds either a unified body of teaching that all Orthodox believe, or a final arbiter, please let me know. In my ruder moments, it may be addressed as, "Protestantism With Funny Hats." Or, "Chaos With Funny Hats." But I repeat myself. [This is a chaotic rant.--ed.] That it is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con

A Friend I Once Had, And The Dogmatic Principle

 I once had a friend, a dear friend, who helped me with personal care needs in college. Reformed Presbyterian to the core. When I was a Reformed Presbyterian, I visited their church many times. We were close. I still consider his siblings my friends. (And siblings in the Lord.) Nevertheless, when I began to consider the claims of the Catholic Church to be the Church Christ founded, he took me out to breakfast. He implied--but never quite stated--that we would not be brothers, if I sought full communion with the Catholic Church. That came true; a couple years later, I called him on his birthday, as I'd done every year for close to ten of them. He didn't recognize my number, and it was the most strained, awkward phone call I have ever had. We haven't spoken since. We were close enough that I attended the rehearsal dinner for his wedding. His wife's uncle is a Catholic priest. I remember reading a blog post of theirs, that early in their relationship, she told him of the p
My wheelchair was nearly destroyed by a car last night. That's a bit melodramatic, I suppose, because it is intact and undamaged. But we'd left my power chair ("Red Sam" in the official designation) in-between the maze of cars parked out front of Chris Yee's house for Bible Study. [Isn't that a Protestant Bible study?--ed.] They are good friends, and it is not under any official auspices. [Not BSF?--ed.] They're BSF guys, but it's not a BSF study. Anyway, I wasn't worried; I made a joke about calling the vendor the next day: "What seems to be the problem, sir?" 'Well, it was destroyed by a car.' As it happened, a guy bumped into it at slow speed. His car got the worst of it. And this only reinforces what I've said for a solid 13 years [Quickie commercial coming] If you want a power wheelchair that lasts, get a Quickie. They're fast, obviously, and they're tanks. Heck, my old one still would work, but the batteries ar