Skip to main content
Lady Gaga is really good. Let me say it this way: She knows what works. And it sure sounds to me like she has some talent. Obviously, for either the cynical reason of making money off us, or an unrequited youthful need for love and attention, she's following the Madonna Template. Step 1: Purposely offend faithful Christians and other cautious people, while simultaneously 2: doing moderately interesting, catchy music that's impossible to entirely hate. If you want to know why "they" are winning the culture war, put on a Madonna CD without telling yourself or your prospective listener who it is. I've played this trick at least 4 times, and it works every time. The reason young people get taken in by things is that they expect evil to be totally so, and good to be the reverse. When the putative cultural defenders entirely overreact, denying anything noble or human in the product or the person, it becomes a generational fight instead of a discussion about timeless human values and qualities. And the old folks are gonna lose that every time.
I agree with 99.4% of what I've heard William Donahue of the Catholic League ever say. I'm serious. I could probably write his press releases. That said, sometimes I like it when people make him mad. If I was on the other side of the culture war, I could barely fashion a more perfect foil. Excitable, prone to overstatement, and a smidge prickly. Never mind, I pretty much just described every social conservative leader in the last 30 years. There must be a better way to do this. The fact is, I may not endorse Lady Gaga's views on homosexuality or any other thing, but if I can't acknowledge the appeal, I've already lost. And they're counting on that. "Speechless" is a great song; I loved when 'Glee' slowed down "Poker Face." Heck, "Alejandro" is a good song; it's the video that deserves a pit in hell. (Same thing with Madonna's "Like A Prayer" 22 years ago.) Listen to "Eh Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)" and tell me you couldn't hear Amy Grant doing the song. They're just messing with us. I think we should start showing up at Lady Gaga's concerts as fans to start a dialogue. That would make her think.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...