Skip to main content
What do I think of the trade of Kevin Youkilis? As strategy, it's ambiguous to bad. Purely as a fan who knows about the odd synergy between the fans, their team, and its special players, this is idiotic. This is the Red Sox equivalent of the Cardinals trading Willie McGee. [They did, you idiot.--ed.] And it was dumb. But he came back. And he could have played 5 more years and hit .203 and no Cardinals fan would have uttered a peep. The 3 most untouchable, revered, and beloved Cardinals of all time are: 1. Stan The Man, 2. Ozzie, and 3. Willie. That's just the way these things are. I utterly hate the Red Sox, and I don't know a great deal about that "unwritten" fans' history, but I do know that Youkilis is one of those guys. He'll be back. They might have to fire Bobby Valentine first, but "Youk" will be back with Boston, mark my words.
As of now, the front office has ruptured the bond between the team and its fans, and probably increased the incidence of depression among 10-12 year-old boys in New England. And frankly, I hope you're not dreaming of the postseason up there, because it's not happening. Baseball seasons are brutal. There's more up and down in a season than the streets of San Francisco. To make it through, you need to: 1. Win more than you lose, 2. Have team chemistry, and 3. Have the support of the fans. Boston just fouled up the last two. Good luck. If you've got a guy better at the same position, have the veteran do something else. Of course, the manager ruined this plan by shaming Youkilis in spring training. What a maroon. There might have been a tense time as he adjusts to the new role, but a couple outs--even a game--usually doesn't matter, in the end.
Which reminds me: There are 3 reasons Albert Pujols made the idiotic choice to leave St. Louis, in reverse order: 3. He thinks he is impervious to time, 2. He started to get jealous of what other players who played less well were paid, and 1. He didn't understand how much the fans loved him. Didn't get it at all. He said he did, but no. He could have hit into more double plays than an all-night Shakespeare festival and hit .117 until 2020, and they'd still have loved him. I'm telling you. See "James, Lebron" and "Cleveland" for a cross-sport proof. You don't have to be the greatest to be someone's favorite player. Take me, for example. My favorite baseball player (non-pitcher) of all time is Gary Gaetti. Gaetti was a very good--sometimes great--baseball player for a long time. He played a few years with the Cardinals at the end, and was the definition of professional. He understood very well what the Cardinals mean to St. Louis, what the bond means. If you played hard and were successful at all, Cards fans have a saying: "Once a Cardinal, always a Cardinal." We remember, and we say 'thank you.' If the barbarians in the front office trade you, OK. But you better have a good reason to leave that isn't "$." That's the story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...