Skip to main content
That guy was a jerk-face. All I did was say that Todd Akin is a good man who made a mistake. Unfortunately, it might mean that Senator McCaskill will win re-election. I said I would pray she picked up an economics textbook (among other things) should she be fortunate enough to win. Well, this guy didn't like that at all. I may have speculated that she would switch parties if she did that. Whereupon this guy pointed out that Akin voted against raising the debt ceiling, as if that was the equivalent of putting puppies in blenders. I said maybe we need a default to wake up our whole political class. At which point, he consigned me to whatever mental holding-tank he has for storing his subhuman political opponents. He said, "I don't think you have any idea what a sovereign default would entail, so I can see why you feel right at home with the Republican party, where knowledge is weakness." I added the period for the aid of my readers and for him, since he was so full of sputtering rage that he couldn't finish his sentence. But I wanted to tell my friend Cole Williams, Professor of Philosophy at Moberly Area Community College, that your friend Jory Hansen is a real gem.

I know that Cole is kinda liberal, and I'm kinda not, but we became friendly acquaintances years ago, and we've kept in touch through Facebook. I love that he teaches philosophy, because he has the mental equipment not only to reason through things, but to reason about reasoning. I'm not a philosopher, but I'm trying to pick it up here and there. Since Cole is a spiritual man--though less defined than I would like--we can always talk theology if the politics gets too heated.

If you show me a flash of humanity amidst the fracas of politics as an elected official, I'll probably like you, even if you're not on my side. Russ Feingold used to be the Democratic Senator from Wisconsin. I've always sorta liked him. Why, you ask? Because he was a real progressive, all the time. Not when it was advantageous or popular. He wasn't a liberal for sport; he was a liberal by conviction. Same with Paul Wellstone, may he rest in peace. I liked Feingold when he had the guts to ask now-Justice Alito about the morality of the death penalty, in light of what we know about wrongful convictions and the like. He asked it because he wanted to know what Alito thought, and he wanted to raise the awareness of the national audience during a confirmation hearing about an issue where liberals are 1000 percent right. And it's not cool to be an anti-death penalty crusader.

It may well be that our friends at the Innocence Project are the commiest commies ever to live, but they do good work. So other than letting you know that I may not be warm and fuzzy with all of Cole's friends, I wanted to add that I am a pro-legal reform, anti-death penalty Republican.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...