Skip to main content
You hear it a lot as an explanation: "Just go back to the Fathers." Why do people become Catholic? They went back to the Fathers. I suppose that's true. But it's important to know what it is about them that we're supposed to be looking for. There are patristics scholars everywhere, after all.

Obviously, in any particular area of interest or time period within the patristic age, you can find leaders with divergent opinions on a great many things. There are some pretty fierce disagreements among them, too. If you wanted to make a surface case against the claim of the Catholic Church--that it is the Church Christ founded--you could do it.

But what is it that they really tell us? They tell us where and how to locate the Church to which they submitted, and why.

That's really the nature of the dispute between Protestants and Catholics: the nature of the Church and how to find it. It's really stupid to pretend that the visible expression of ecclesiastical authority and its decisions matter, when the very legitimacy of that community depends on a conception of the Church that is fundamentally invisible.

But in Christian life, we know that truth has to be concretized by people. That is, if some ecclesiastical assembly doesn't possess an ultimate authority to at least adjudicate the questions before it, it is irrelevant as an authority.

The real dispute between historic Protestants and various fundamentalists is that the fundamentalists are more honest: they don't need a thin veneer of deference to history and authority to cover their hermeneutic of rupture.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...