Skip to main content
Sometimes, all you need is grace and Taco Bell. Emphasis on the grace. My mind is still a fog. I'm reading the words, but I don't understand what they mean. I hate when that happens.

I'm not cut out for spending huge amounts of time alone. Unfortunately, this is what you do when you're in a non-traditional Masters program. Nor am I cut out for the single life. I could hear St. Ignatius prattle on about "disordered desires" all day long, and all I can think is things you shouldn't say to saints.

It's not that I can't picture some other calling, but I can't and won't take a vow that I don't stand a reasonable chance of keeping. I'm a scandal waiting to happen. I'm just telling you that. And frankly, I didn't enjoy the idea of pastoral ministry all that much, anyway. I love God. I love his Word. I remember things most people don't. That makes me a good dude to have at a trivia night, not a shepherd.

I've been bouncing through life thinking I must be crazy, and searching for assurances to the contrary. And if I am crazy, isn't my future wife supposed to say, "Yep, you're crazy, but I love you anyway"? Isn't that what God says to all of us?

Me and "The Deb" get along so well because our kind of crazy makes sense. We're not really "The Cool People," although we want to be. The truth is, maybe we're not the crazy ones. I think we see the good things people don't see about themselves, and they miss those things in us, because they're looking only at the outside.

That's just it: me and Deb are just really different than most people. But we can't be other than who we are. But "Normal" people and crazy people need love just the same. You just have to decide whether you are going to do that. Suppose the thing that made you 'acceptable' went away. Would you still want people to love and accept you? Better question: If that acceptance is based on something material, something completely beyond your doing, is it real?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...