Skip to main content

Stan The Man

You probably have heard that Stan has gone to his rest now. You can look up his dizzying statistics if it suits you; there is no need for me to do that here. The chase is this: Musial is one of the 5 best to ever play the game of baseball.

But I want to tell you about the time I met Stan. I was 12 years old. He came to a park near my house. Of course the autographs were free. He smiled at me, shook my hand, and signed my ball in blue pen. Being a baseball fan is a lot like being Catholic; there's a great Tradition that you become aware of, names you speak in reverence, and a whole host of other things. But if someone else gave it to you, you take it for granted. I took that day for granted. Wherever that ball is, it reminds me to slow down, to understand, to live the moments again. So many things become greater upon reflection.

I never will erase that smile from my memory. Everything that has been said about him as a man must be true, because the smile lingers in my head. You don't run into people often who truly enjoy living as much as he must have. I can only imagine that he smiles even bigger now, savoring eternal joy befitting a life well lived.

It seems weird, when you come to your first Cardinals game, and kids all of 10 years old are talking about a guy who played in the big leagues as a rookie in 1941. But you have to understand us here in the Gateway City; baseball is more than just our favorite sport; it binds us together in ways that trouble our pastors. It does have an oddly religious character here. We tell each other stories of men we never saw, because the ones we do see simply carry forward what was done before. Our joy is theirs, we owe it to them not to forget.

Stan understood from the beginning what it was like here. The connection between the team and its fans in this place, I still say, is different. He lived his life as a player, as a man, and an ambassador for baseball in such a way that we knew he understood.

Some people say that the movie "Field Of Dreams" is too sentimental, too reverential to fallible men who play and watch this game. There have always been dark secrets hiding in the closets of this game and the people who make it, they tell us. Well and good.

But Stan was the living refutation of all that. He was a living monument "to all that once was good, and could be again." And he knew the weight of that, the responsibility, and he bore it easily, with joy. He was the embodiment of the past we strive to remember. When they came out with the, "Play Like A Cardinal" tag line, it means, "Play like Musial." And when you're done, remember that this is more than a game to us. Treat it with respect. Treat us with respect.

Say what you will about the free agent departure of Albert Pujols; he understood. Only he knows what the money meant, and if it was necessary. But he knew he had to shoot down all the "El Hombre" talk as quickly as possible. There can only be one in this town who is "The Man." Maybe that was it. Either he knew he couldn't fill such lofty shoes, or it was wrong to try.

There were those who hit more home runs, who had a higher batting average, and so on. But Stan gave us permission to love the game, to enjoy it, and to do it without hesitation. There are still heroes in baseball, and he set about proving it long after his last game in 1963. That's why he's Stan The Man.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...