Skip to main content

Truth And Loving People

I've loved a lot of people in my time. That is to say, I have felt the sentiment or the emotion of love, which I readily grant, is not the extent of it, or even its essence. Sometimes, you have to tick a person off to love them. Truth and love are never far apart in the good life.

This blog in general is devoted to truth in love. For example, I think being Protestant is tenuous. Perhaps today is the day that modernity and postmodernity take down whatever ecclesial edifice you happen to be inhabiting; maybe you have been taken down long ago by persistent falsehood without knowing it. But I can only rejoice in new appointments to the pastorate insofar as it helps my friends eat and feed their families. Also, I can rejoice in those elements of truth still found and heard in those places. But the first hard truth of the day is this: that truth was stolen from the Catholic Church. Creedal Christianity is Catholic Christianity. It's just as well that truth was stolen; after all, it was stolen by the Church's own sons and daughters, largely.

We have an obligation to do better than, "real but imperfect communion." Jesus prayed for more than that. Our hearts ring out for more than that. When I say that you fail to make a principled distinction in arguing for your position, I mean practically that a hack with a theology that's a bad joke from the first millenium can argue it to ends that are, to say the least, undesirable. A principled position can be applied to all relevant situations, past, present, or future. "An ecumenical council is always to be held true" is a principled position. "An ecumenical council is always false" is also a principled position.

I'm thrilled in one sense, discerning Protestant, that your position is unprincipled. But entropy and the reality of Sola Scriptura will make it for naught. The ship is sinking; jump off.

Why am I Catholic? Because it's true. Because honesty and truth demanded it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...