Skip to main content

Indifferentism

I can give you a pretty basic definition of religious indifferentism: It is the belief that it doesn't matter what one believes about God. There are dozens of reasons why someone might find it appealing. But I can say without a hint of hesitation that my journey toward Catholicism began at the catching of a more than faint whiff of religious indifferentism.

Secondarily, it was about ecclesiology, because the ekklesia is supposed to be the place where I am formed and shaped by God, who is Truth. It is simply not correct to assert that a desire for that truth is some vestige of Enlightenment rationalism; ironically, in fact, it is that rationalism that makes indifferentism popular. In any case, we do not fear to find that Protestants and Catholics have different doctrines concerning God, and different sources (to some extent) for identifying and applying what God says. We should vehemently reject any notion that we cannot and ought not know what He has said, for indeed, the basis of any theology is revelation. And in fact, ecclesiology's only real purpose is to contextualize the truths of revelation, to filter out what a person or group of them may add to God's communication. Because the Church is the very communion where God dwells, because we who believe are that dwelling-place, (Ephesians 2) there is a limit to how much we can say, "I don't know" in theology without slandering God, who wishes to be known. At a minimum, what is asserted theologically is presumed to be the content of revelation, or something that necessarily follows from it. Otherwise, the theological assertion in its particularity is not important enough to be asserted. And if one cannot know the truthfulness of what is asserted, it is unwise to assert it.

Because the Church is the dwelling-place for God, the very place where His salvation is realized, the Church on some level must know what God has revealed. The biggest problem with the notion of an invisible Church (a notion that follows by necessity from the unavoidable individualism of Sola Scriptura) is that it implicates the Holy Spirit in the dogmatic/epistemic doubt that follows from the concept. God cannot contradict Himself, so the concept--which by its very nature asserts that God the Holy Spirit teaches contradictory things about non-negotiable matters--cannot be the Church of the Lord Jesus Christ. They may well be His People, and they may be trying to be the Church, but the concept won't survive, if we desire to reject indifferentism. Indifferentism is in fact one outcome of the problem caused by the concept. If visible unity is neither desirable nor necessary, we must still live with the theological implications of that reality. If we are not willing to concede that the faults in the process belong to humans, and that the process itself may be wrong, the only other choice is to call God a liar. This is not an acceptable Christian position.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con

A Friend I Once Had, And The Dogmatic Principle

 I once had a friend, a dear friend, who helped me with personal care needs in college. Reformed Presbyterian to the core. When I was a Reformed Presbyterian, I visited their church many times. We were close. I still consider his siblings my friends. (And siblings in the Lord.) Nevertheless, when I began to consider the claims of the Catholic Church to be the Church Christ founded, he took me out to breakfast. He implied--but never quite stated--that we would not be brothers, if I sought full communion with the Catholic Church. That came true; a couple years later, I called him on his birthday, as I'd done every year for close to ten of them. He didn't recognize my number, and it was the most strained, awkward phone call I have ever had. We haven't spoken since. We were close enough that I attended the rehearsal dinner for his wedding. His wife's uncle is a Catholic priest. I remember reading a blog post of theirs, that early in their relationship, she told him of the p
My wheelchair was nearly destroyed by a car last night. That's a bit melodramatic, I suppose, because it is intact and undamaged. But we'd left my power chair ("Red Sam" in the official designation) in-between the maze of cars parked out front of Chris Yee's house for Bible Study. [Isn't that a Protestant Bible study?--ed.] They are good friends, and it is not under any official auspices. [Not BSF?--ed.] They're BSF guys, but it's not a BSF study. Anyway, I wasn't worried; I made a joke about calling the vendor the next day: "What seems to be the problem, sir?" 'Well, it was destroyed by a car.' As it happened, a guy bumped into it at slow speed. His car got the worst of it. And this only reinforces what I've said for a solid 13 years [Quickie commercial coming] If you want a power wheelchair that lasts, get a Quickie. They're fast, obviously, and they're tanks. Heck, my old one still would work, but the batteries ar