Skip to main content

A Brief Retort


Back on March 25, I wrote this. It came in the midst of discussions of ecclesial visibility and authority. I do have to say that there is always a risk that I will reply with more heat than light, as it were. All the more reason to let the ideas presented by my interlocutors stew, and perhaps to let the passionate, personal edge that can be a part of such discussions be blunted.

A commentor said this: "There were no doubt times when God had appointed someone to do something. But, it was always specific. The priests and kings were at times rejected by prophets who had authority not derived from the priests and kings, but from God. And, it is clearly not the splitting off of the Northern Kingdom from the Southern, but what they do afterwards that gets them in trouble. Even then, when God appoints new lines of kings, he also ends those lines and even continuing lines are challenged by those rogue Reformers, err, prophets.

More to the point, those most clearly appointed to lead by God in, say, 30 AD were opposed by the Son of God himself. In the subsequent years, Christ's followers -- both Apostles and not (see Stephen, for example) -- boldly challenged the clearly appointed authorities with the authority of the Law and the Prophets... and ultimately, the authority of Paul's letters. Stephen didn't say, "Well, you may disagree with me, but I have the Apostles on my side." He laid out Biblical history in his challenge to the authorities."

One obvious reply is that he still assumes that there is some definable word of God by which the Jewish authorities of the first century could be judged. But the word of God to Israel was always a word in community. When Israel had failed to keep the covenant, it was God himself who spoke to correct the error. That's what makes the parallel between the Pharisees and the medieval Catholic Church fall apart: I do not recall any prophetic sanction given to any one or all of the so-called reformers. If they were prophets, why did they contradict each other? If they were prophets, which one should we follow? If they were prophets, God's people would not be confused and divided, even if those divisions are well-intentioned, and have a significant covering of cultural anti-Catholicism to hide the internal disagreement.

Moreover, even if we grant that the Pharisees were corrected by the long-established word that God had given to his people, it still remains that his people are visibly marked out as such. And the reply seems to ignore the obvious: God Himself came in the flesh to correct the errors of the established authorities. He never said they were not the established authorities; in fact he said the opposite. But we do not mistake his prerogatives to revise and even reinterpret and reconstitute the people of God as some sanction for mere men to do the same, as if they are the Incarnate Word.

Finally, were we to see the Old Testament Scriptures as a stable norm from which to draw in correcting the Pharisees, the same logic convicts the so-called reformers in their unjustified innovations. The Sacred Tradition that had been expressed in all the ecumenical councils up to that point would have been part of that stable norm to which all of us are bound. This is why Luther was asked about the councils when the controversy began. It is not impossible for God to sanction a whole new interpretive framework for Christians, but I daresay that he would do it in person, as he had done for his people before.

Apostolic succession, communion with the successor of Peter, and a true Eucharist had been the boundary lines for the people of God from the very beginning. Whatever reforms need to take place must take place in the Church. One cannot reform something from the outside. Even if that definition is far from clear, one cannot create a new definition, and then use it to critique the Church. This is why I said that one cannot be the arbiter of divine revelation and a humble receiver at the same time. I do not define "the Church" and then presume to mold her to my whims; I either receive what she teaches, or I do not. If I do not, however, I presume to have a part with Christ, and in vain at that, if that presumption is culpable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con

A Friend I Once Had, And The Dogmatic Principle

 I once had a friend, a dear friend, who helped me with personal care needs in college. Reformed Presbyterian to the core. When I was a Reformed Presbyterian, I visited their church many times. We were close. I still consider his siblings my friends. (And siblings in the Lord.) Nevertheless, when I began to consider the claims of the Catholic Church to be the Church Christ founded, he took me out to breakfast. He implied--but never quite stated--that we would not be brothers, if I sought full communion with the Catholic Church. That came true; a couple years later, I called him on his birthday, as I'd done every year for close to ten of them. He didn't recognize my number, and it was the most strained, awkward phone call I have ever had. We haven't spoken since. We were close enough that I attended the rehearsal dinner for his wedding. His wife's uncle is a Catholic priest. I remember reading a blog post of theirs, that early in their relationship, she told him of the p
My wheelchair was nearly destroyed by a car last night. That's a bit melodramatic, I suppose, because it is intact and undamaged. But we'd left my power chair ("Red Sam" in the official designation) in-between the maze of cars parked out front of Chris Yee's house for Bible Study. [Isn't that a Protestant Bible study?--ed.] They are good friends, and it is not under any official auspices. [Not BSF?--ed.] They're BSF guys, but it's not a BSF study. Anyway, I wasn't worried; I made a joke about calling the vendor the next day: "What seems to be the problem, sir?" 'Well, it was destroyed by a car.' As it happened, a guy bumped into it at slow speed. His car got the worst of it. And this only reinforces what I've said for a solid 13 years [Quickie commercial coming] If you want a power wheelchair that lasts, get a Quickie. They're fast, obviously, and they're tanks. Heck, my old one still would work, but the batteries ar