Skip to main content

CCC, 1323

Wait, what? I'm not gonna go word-by-word this time, frankly, because I'm not that good of a theologian. On the other hand, considering the depth of the riches of the mystery* of the Eucharist, who is? Are you kidding? Question 1: Wait a minute, Sparky. (And yes, I will answer to this. When the time comes, I will also answer to "Dr. Sparky.") How is this celebration/sacrament/ordinance a sacrifice, when Christ has died once-for-all, as the Scripture teaches (Hebrews 9:11-13, 26)? Great question. In layman's terms, there is no time. In the sacrifice of our redemption, Christ is both Victim and Priest. That which is true of that sacrifice is true of this one. Christ would not, and cannot, consent to dying again without denigrating what has already been accomplished. So, whatever the person who is acting in the person of Christ the Head is doing, he can't deny Calvary, because Christ is ever-obedient to the Father; he'd be the last to deny it! But this is the meaning: if it serves the glory of the Father, and the salvation of us his brethren, He can bring the Cross to us. He did say, "After I am lifted up, I will draw all men to myself." John 12:34. This IS Calvary, for all time, every time. Look at 1 Corinthians 11:26. I'm here to tell you without getting hyper-technical that the Greek here is truly creepy. Probably another translation of our words, "For as often as" here in the English RSV (and a better one) is, "Each time you do this..." Moreover, "you proclaim" is present tense, active indicative, and this means that it's perfectly reasonable to translate it all, "Each time you do this, you are proclaiming the Lord's death until He comes." Let that sit for a minute. We are not simply ones who remember; we live as the eschatological People of God, for whom all God's redemptive acts are present to us as if we were there. Because in a true sense, we are. Especially in this greatest act. This is why St. Paul says to the Corinthians slightly prior, "The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ?  Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread.  Consider the practice of Israel; are not those who eat the sacrifices partners in the altar?" (1 Cor 10:16-18) While keeping in mind that the New Covenant mysteries/sacraments have a greater efficacy than those of the Old (Laus tibi, Domine!), do recall Exodus 12:14: "This day shall be for you a memorial day, and you shall keep it as a feast to the Lord; throughout your generations you shall observe it as an ordinance for ever." To be direct, the only way the LORD keeps this promise is in the Eucharist. John 6:51-58. In any case, our "forever" is bounded only by "until He comes." Then we shall eat, and rejoice and see, with no veil or sign.

How can He save us, how can we eat and not die, if Christ is not present as true priest and victim? We do not, and cannot eat the food of eternal life merely by remembering; Christ must be there, and he must give himself to us. It's deep, but it's not hard.

*Biblically speaking, "mystery" means, "Wow, that is deep and unsearchable!" but it also means something like, "This is a truth of God's wise plan that was once hidden, but is now revealed." So, sacraments are indeed very special.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...