Skip to main content

CCC, 1323

Wait, what? I'm not gonna go word-by-word this time, frankly, because I'm not that good of a theologian. On the other hand, considering the depth of the riches of the mystery* of the Eucharist, who is? Are you kidding? Question 1: Wait a minute, Sparky. (And yes, I will answer to this. When the time comes, I will also answer to "Dr. Sparky.") How is this celebration/sacrament/ordinance a sacrifice, when Christ has died once-for-all, as the Scripture teaches (Hebrews 9:11-13, 26)? Great question. In layman's terms, there is no time. In the sacrifice of our redemption, Christ is both Victim and Priest. That which is true of that sacrifice is true of this one. Christ would not, and cannot, consent to dying again without denigrating what has already been accomplished. So, whatever the person who is acting in the person of Christ the Head is doing, he can't deny Calvary, because Christ is ever-obedient to the Father; he'd be the last to deny it! But this is the meaning: if it serves the glory of the Father, and the salvation of us his brethren, He can bring the Cross to us. He did say, "After I am lifted up, I will draw all men to myself." John 12:34. This IS Calvary, for all time, every time. Look at 1 Corinthians 11:26. I'm here to tell you without getting hyper-technical that the Greek here is truly creepy. Probably another translation of our words, "For as often as" here in the English RSV (and a better one) is, "Each time you do this..." Moreover, "you proclaim" is present tense, active indicative, and this means that it's perfectly reasonable to translate it all, "Each time you do this, you are proclaiming the Lord's death until He comes." Let that sit for a minute. We are not simply ones who remember; we live as the eschatological People of God, for whom all God's redemptive acts are present to us as if we were there. Because in a true sense, we are. Especially in this greatest act. This is why St. Paul says to the Corinthians slightly prior, "The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ?  Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread.  Consider the practice of Israel; are not those who eat the sacrifices partners in the altar?" (1 Cor 10:16-18) While keeping in mind that the New Covenant mysteries/sacraments have a greater efficacy than those of the Old (Laus tibi, Domine!), do recall Exodus 12:14: "This day shall be for you a memorial day, and you shall keep it as a feast to the Lord; throughout your generations you shall observe it as an ordinance for ever." To be direct, the only way the LORD keeps this promise is in the Eucharist. John 6:51-58. In any case, our "forever" is bounded only by "until He comes." Then we shall eat, and rejoice and see, with no veil or sign.

How can He save us, how can we eat and not die, if Christ is not present as true priest and victim? We do not, and cannot eat the food of eternal life merely by remembering; Christ must be there, and he must give himself to us. It's deep, but it's not hard.

*Biblically speaking, "mystery" means, "Wow, that is deep and unsearchable!" but it also means something like, "This is a truth of God's wise plan that was once hidden, but is now revealed." So, sacraments are indeed very special.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con

A Friend I Once Had, And The Dogmatic Principle

 I once had a friend, a dear friend, who helped me with personal care needs in college. Reformed Presbyterian to the core. When I was a Reformed Presbyterian, I visited their church many times. We were close. I still consider his siblings my friends. (And siblings in the Lord.) Nevertheless, when I began to consider the claims of the Catholic Church to be the Church Christ founded, he took me out to breakfast. He implied--but never quite stated--that we would not be brothers, if I sought full communion with the Catholic Church. That came true; a couple years later, I called him on his birthday, as I'd done every year for close to ten of them. He didn't recognize my number, and it was the most strained, awkward phone call I have ever had. We haven't spoken since. We were close enough that I attended the rehearsal dinner for his wedding. His wife's uncle is a Catholic priest. I remember reading a blog post of theirs, that early in their relationship, she told him of the p
My wheelchair was nearly destroyed by a car last night. That's a bit melodramatic, I suppose, because it is intact and undamaged. But we'd left my power chair ("Red Sam" in the official designation) in-between the maze of cars parked out front of Chris Yee's house for Bible Study. [Isn't that a Protestant Bible study?--ed.] They are good friends, and it is not under any official auspices. [Not BSF?--ed.] They're BSF guys, but it's not a BSF study. Anyway, I wasn't worried; I made a joke about calling the vendor the next day: "What seems to be the problem, sir?" 'Well, it was destroyed by a car.' As it happened, a guy bumped into it at slow speed. His car got the worst of it. And this only reinforces what I've said for a solid 13 years [Quickie commercial coming] If you want a power wheelchair that lasts, get a Quickie. They're fast, obviously, and they're tanks. Heck, my old one still would work, but the batteries ar