Skip to main content

Ecclesial Fallibility

This is what Sola Scriptura should be called, because that's what it is. It's the right of interpretive veto power over any supposed "church" and its juridical and doctrinal decisions. What it means is that there is no real principled difference between "Solo Scriptura" and "Sola Scriptura". Granted, to create a concept of "derivative authority" to some creed or other thing does create more skin in the game, as it were, to foster the inertia of consensus that's required to maintain some semblance of contact with orthodoxy. But eventually, you're going to break the axiom--Oh, let's call it "JK's Axiom #1"--"One cannot be both the arbiter of divine revelation, and a humble receiver of it at the same time." A naturalist is a person who has used his interpretive veto power to not only question every church, but to question the existence of God. Here's the kicker, though: he's definitely a Protestant.

I wrote that a Christian needs to know what God says in the places closest to our lives ("local church", in the Reformed parlance) in order to be Christian. This led to my other closely related axiom, "If God didn't say it, it doesn't matter." Or, in other words, doctrinally speaking, a human opinion is just that. So, cheer up, my friends: the Presbyterian Church in America could declare you a heretic tomorrow, and it means two things: Jack, and Squat. They aren't willing or able to say they speak for Christ Himself, so who cares?

Leithart certainly didn't. And he tested the individualism right at the core of the whole thing. He said, "Prove to me from the Scriptures I'm wrong!" But you can't. That's why it's an insidious lie, Sola Scriptura. The best thing two Protestants can do is decide that doctrine x is "secondary" to the gospel,  of which the very existence of their communities with distinct doctrines is a counter-sign. Go ahead: Tell Pastor Mark Dever you want to baptize your infant son. Or his. Then enjoy the fireworks. Slow-motion relativism, and then the formation of politico-cultural groups and alliances to compensate for the dissonance of not being able to know what God definitely said. All Protestantism is degenerating into ceasaro-papism now; Jim Wallis' Caesar may be different than yours, but it's all the same.

Food for thought.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Here is my fun fun fun PCA discipline anecdote.

A couple guys were excommunicated in one congregation of the presbytery. Undeterred, they moved to a different congregation in the same presbytery where they were received with open arms. Nothing was ever done to correct this.

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...