Skip to main content

Today's Gospel: Mt. 13:54-58

It's actually the next day when you will read this, but you can't rush these things! Anyway, I could hardly keep from jumping to conclusions, which means for me, cross-references. I didn't flip there, no; I did recall that in another place, Jesus is said to have added, "But blessed is he who takes no offense at me." That was the thing that jumped out: "And they took offense at him."

In the prologue of John's Gospel, we read, "He came to his own, but his own did not receive him. But to all who received him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God..." There's something about Jesus.

He mentions that God's prophets have a rough time among their friends and family; it is incongruous, really: We've known you since you first breathed, and you now lecture us? But it's more than just human pride; God seems to use the mundane to do the extraordinary, and we're still not used to it. And not only this, but Jesus was no common sinner. Better still, he is the hope of Israel, her prophet, priest, and king par excellence, and so the Savior of us all.

"Who do you say that I am?" Jesus is asking us this without asking here. "And he did not work many mighty deeds there because of their lack of faith." He never did signs and wonders to prove anything; faith is its own miracle, and it sees beyond the common. It reaches out to touch the unseen God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...