Skip to main content

Wake Up To What?

I'm trying to be patient. Wake up to what? That Pope Francis isn't the Pope? That we should join the SSPX? What are you implying? Out with it, already! And the other thing about it is, you don't have to like Mark Shea. I'm definitely not his best bud or anything. He's already admitted more than once--gasp!--that he's a sinner who's been uncharitable with commenters and the like. I remember the big apology. I blogged about it. I said "thank you," and prayed for him. I had been sort of mad about what appeared to be a vendetta against Paul Ryan. That's exactly what it was, the issue. Which is not to say he hasn't gone soft, or that we're putting our faith in princes, as it were. Just that we need to try to hear people out, even if it's hard. Suffice it to say, I haven't had any more gripes with Mark Shea. Frankly, it speaks well for him that a friend of the blog really likes his stuff.

But you don't have to like Mark Shea. I don't care. But Rick Miller, I'm calling you out. Reading The Remnant will screw you up. Don't do it. Just don't. I love the Extraordinary Form, too. That's not the point. And Skojek, and Michael Voris, too. If they're not in schism, they encourage it. And we should have no part in it.

Anyway, someone else pointed out that Mark Shea has no training in theology. I hope we're not going there. The Church with buckets and buckets of unlearned saints is going to get credentialistic now?

The other thing I wanted to do was read the "About Us" page. Second paragraph:

Never before in the history of the Church has there been a Mass that featured women in the sanctuary, laymen giving out Holy Communion, Communion being given out in the hand, altar girls, polka and rock music, clowns, kissing and hugging, priests offering Mass facing the people, etc.

And I'm done. Some of these are abuses; some of these are legitimate expressions of preference. But if you don't accept the Mass of Paul VI as a valid expression of the Church's faith, as it was intended, mind you, you're not being a good Catholic. I just blogged about this yesterday. And what do I know? Well, I do have some training in theology. And I know the heart of the gospel, and when a spirit of bitterness has taken hold. Even Mark Shea doesn't deserve that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...