Skip to main content

The Day Jeter Was A Cardinal

Read the whole thing. And then stay with me. I don't remember the day now, but I was there. Third game, when the Yanks were in town. We took the Metro. There was a father and son together. Yankee fans. Grown. No fan of the Cardinals can really hate the Yankees, if you think about it. We are the Yankees, for so many other teams.

That conversation was genial, in the way that only fans of The Game's two greatest franchises understand. I said jokingly, "I know I'm supposed to hate the Yankees, but how can I, with the quality of the guys on your club?" I stated plainly, "We had to see Jeter."

And the look between me and the older man could only be described as deep understanding and respect. This is the city of Stan the Man; we know iconic and larger-than-life, and what it means.

He didn't play. Former Cardinal Brendan Ryan started at short, and he played well. We were disappointed, but not too much. Once a Cardinal, always a Cardinal.

But in the middle of the sixth, the Cardinals showed a video, interspersed with Jeter highlights, and tributes from Cardinals players. The crowd got louder; somebody in the dugout pushed Jeter out there, as if to say, "Get out there! There's a reason everybody wants to play here."

He came out, tipped his cap, and found out why. Some say the tributes have been too much. I disagree; when you truly love this game, when it's in your blood, there is plenty of love to be had, and it's not too much for one so great.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...