Skip to main content

I Figured It Out

I figured out why Christian Contemporary Music sounds cheesy, as it were. Actually, that Gungor dude nailed it, but I'm not chasing that link down. It's very simple: Loving God is too big for this. The music can't handle it. I just sensed it while I listened to, aptly enough, "Love Song For A Savior" by Jars Of Clay. It's a great song for what it is. It's almost great pop music. Here's reality, though: Jesus will never be popular. He will never be cool. He's Lord and God; he doesn't need you or me. The fact that he chooses us, to need us, as it were, tells us only about our need. I digress.

This is why I'm not a musical relativist. If I want to love God with all my heart in song, I need sacred music. It doesn't mean that it has to be from one culture or time; don't get in a huff. It does mean there actually is a sacred/secular distinction, and that's OK. If I may, I'm tired of hearing there isn't one. That was among the worst things they tried to teach me at seminary among the separated brethren. You're trying to say that you want Truth to touch every part of your life; to state it more like we have heard it, there is no square-inch of this universe that belongs to someone other than God in Christ. Just say that.

They taught you and me to reject the sacred/secular distinction because they are afraid of clericalism, the idea that only the clergy matters, that only the liturgical affairs and evangelistic efforts of the Church as such are important. They think this is synonymous with Catholicism. I suppose it can be. But that's why they bought the Protestant story; that's why if you're reading this, you probably have.

There is no point in pretending that Lionel Richie (God love him) and Bach are the same. I'm sorry, but not. One is better, and higher. It isn't to say that you can't make something common, and give it to Jesus. What would pop music sound like, if everybody knew Christ, and wanted to get to Heaven?

Intellectually, we might even know that in a strict sense, romantic love is a poor analogy for loving God. As mysticism, eros has been a fruitful theme, but the key is, the context of the Tradition, where it has been taught and believed for century after century that celibacy is greater than marriage.

The understanding and appreciation of the apostolate of the laity has deepened with time, but again, only in the context where it is taught and believed that the priesthood is a higher calling. People think that saying that denigrates the lesser thing. Not so. The right ordering of things allows for them to flourish.

CCM never has been fully aware of the ambiguity between adoration, evangelism, and entertainment (and mass appeal). And that's why it does none of them particularly well, outside a subculture. We need also to be comfortable making people uncomfortable with our loving of God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...