Skip to main content

Happy Fourth Of July

Some people are saying America isn't so great. What are we celebrating? I suppose you could say that from any direction. Doesn't it always seem like something important has been lost when time passes? Nostalgia is a temptation for great nations, and great peoples, who perhaps have grown weary of testing their principles, and themselves.

A weary people grows tired of testing principles, and a people without virtue grows tired of employing them.

Maybe we are that people. But we can be so much more. I read about a guy who jumped in a lake to save a 4-year-old from drowning. He was paralyzed in the process, and then he lost his life. That kind of selflessness, that's America.

What would you say to the friends and family of the beloved dead in Charleston? True forgiveness is not unique to us, but it's as American as apple pie. That's hero stuff right there.

Maybe some of us will need to learn that process is important, that there are hidden costs to pursuing one thing above all else, at least a thing that isn't big enough (or good enough) to allow other good things within it.

There are genuinely intolerant people here, and they can mess up a good thing for everybody. Pay them no mind. One great thing our Founders gave us was gridlock. No, seriously. There might come a time when passions could run a little high, even among people of good will. There is nothing like frustration to make us slow down, maybe even to listen to one another. Thank the Founders for that.

I think back to the night President Obama won the election the first time. The euphoria was unreal. No matter what else I might say about the president--"in over his head" might be the gentlest thing I'd say--that night was the best of America. I remember the First Kids standing there, and the First Lady, and feeling like I would never have words to describe this moment. All Oprah could do was cry. I don't blame her. How great a country is this? A black woman can get out of poverty coming from nothing, and become a billionaire. And, by the way, there's nothing more American than giving stuff away, and generously, at that. Some time this week, Chris Rock pointed out that his kids have never known a moment when little black kids were not running around the White House. They think it's perfectly normal. Well, it is, in America. The Founders may not have known the greatness of their own principles, but they are great, nonetheless.

 The next time you're tempted to think about all the bad things, and even the bad people you think are messing it up, think of the man who saved that kid, or the soldier who fell on a grenade, so the parents of his brothers-in-arms wouldn't be the ones holding the folded flag.

Remember Flight 93? They fought and died, just so our leaders would not be harmed. We understand better than most: At the end of the day, it's better to mock a president than to bury one.

This 4th of July, have a grilled something or other, and remember that dreams grow wild here, to paraphrase Phil Vassar. Not by sheer luck, but ultimately because they belong to people with thankful and generous hearts.

Happy Fourth of July, everybody.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...