Skip to main content

Let Me Be Clear

[Oh, no. When the president says this, he's not clear at all!--ed.] I'll try to do better.

Not long ago, an "ism" used to be a bad idea that had some portion of truth, but had twisted some aspect of human life, becoming dangerous in large doses. Now, our "isms" are completely fictional; people are asking us the equivalent of believing in unicorns. I'm not sure what "cisgenderism" is exactly, but I call it "reality."

I read another stupid word today: "ageism." Now, I certainly believe it's possible to unjustly discriminate against an aged person, (or a young one) but the word itself is a fig-leaf to cover the fact that old people aren't supposed to be working. We are indeed too individualized, too atomized, if our elders continue working out of necessity. That's a discussion for another day.

I like smart women. Thoughtful, feisty, independent women. You know what, though? Pretty much the peak of womanhood is being a wife and a mother. Is it the only way to live? Of course not. Do those two roles exhaust the entire meaning of "woman"? No. Are they constituitive of it? Yes, absolutely. And the people who say otherwise are denying reality. I don't recall giving anyone permission to decide that wives and mothers by their very existence as such were perpetuating oppression. How patently absurd.

But as I'm sure you realize, we live in the absurd now. People think that "man" and "woman" are just cultural constructs; they actually think you can change it, like you change a shirt. Not long ago, we'd have suggested that a man who thought he was a woman was mentally ill; now, he's the hero, and the one more likely to be committed is me.

The beauty of the natural law is that I know, maybe buried pretty deep in any one case, that people don't really believe most of the stuff they say; they are wounded and confused. Of course, you can't say this, either. To "love" people, they say, you have to take them at their word, as secure, balanced people. If that were true, however, you wouldn't be offended by everything.

This elicits no small amount of sympathy from me normally, but for the fact that many of these people hold actual power over others. Feel free to ask our fellows in the 20th century how that tends to go.

So, somebody has to take the risk of being unpopular, for love of others. I might suggest to Christ's vice-shepherds that it's not enough to argue for "religious freedom." Pluralism in fact is a concession to unreality; you don't beg for scraps from the table when your Father made the table, and all the "food" on it, and everything else.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con

A Friend I Once Had, And The Dogmatic Principle

 I once had a friend, a dear friend, who helped me with personal care needs in college. Reformed Presbyterian to the core. When I was a Reformed Presbyterian, I visited their church many times. We were close. I still consider his siblings my friends. (And siblings in the Lord.) Nevertheless, when I began to consider the claims of the Catholic Church to be the Church Christ founded, he took me out to breakfast. He implied--but never quite stated--that we would not be brothers, if I sought full communion with the Catholic Church. That came true; a couple years later, I called him on his birthday, as I'd done every year for close to ten of them. He didn't recognize my number, and it was the most strained, awkward phone call I have ever had. We haven't spoken since. We were close enough that I attended the rehearsal dinner for his wedding. His wife's uncle is a Catholic priest. I remember reading a blog post of theirs, that early in their relationship, she told him of the p
My wheelchair was nearly destroyed by a car last night. That's a bit melodramatic, I suppose, because it is intact and undamaged. But we'd left my power chair ("Red Sam" in the official designation) in-between the maze of cars parked out front of Chris Yee's house for Bible Study. [Isn't that a Protestant Bible study?--ed.] They are good friends, and it is not under any official auspices. [Not BSF?--ed.] They're BSF guys, but it's not a BSF study. Anyway, I wasn't worried; I made a joke about calling the vendor the next day: "What seems to be the problem, sir?" 'Well, it was destroyed by a car.' As it happened, a guy bumped into it at slow speed. His car got the worst of it. And this only reinforces what I've said for a solid 13 years [Quickie commercial coming] If you want a power wheelchair that lasts, get a Quickie. They're fast, obviously, and they're tanks. Heck, my old one still would work, but the batteries ar