Skip to main content

Bored With The Resurrection?

 I suppose anything could become routine. I yawn at Holy Mass sometimes. But when I read a guy who said this, frankly, my first thought was, "Well, your liturgy has a gaping hole in it." He's a Protestant, in fact. Here's the truth: Easter as a Reformed Protestant is borderline pointless. It is boring. You can only think about Christ's victory over death so many different ways, before you say, in true Protestant fashion, "I know this already." You can't, in a strict theological sense, really live by the Scriptural injunction to suffer as He did, to die as he did, because the point of being Protestant is to say, "Jesus did all that for you and me, so we don't need this big to-do about seasons, and alleged mystical participations."

Not everyone is, let's say, as sensitive as I am, but I feel the weight of the crosses we all bear during this time. Bodily, emotionally, the whole thing. I told Fred Noltie about this one year, and I asked him if I was crazy. He said something like, "Nope, you're not alone." If you love Jesus, you will get the Cross, and especially during Lent. God willing, we will feel this weight along with mortifications freely chosen. Maybe not.

I hope indeed that many separated brethren observe Lent, however incongruous it may be with their own communities, and in so doing, be moved to reconsider those things which caused that separation.  Because when we truly suffer and die with Christ, we will rise with Him, and it's only fitting we should celebrate, and loudly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...