Skip to main content

Angry All The Time

There's a song I love by that name. Bruce Robison wrote it; it's a song about the heartbreak and loss of a divorce. It's quite possibly the saddest song I've ever heard. But it has a humorous second life for me, sort of teasing somebody who really should lighten up. You just sing the last line of the chorus, in the general direction of the sourpuss: "I don't know why you gotta be/Angry all the time." (This is definitely another one of those country songs Confirmation Sponsor Guy should listen to, and appreciate.)

Country superstar Tim McGraw recorded the song as well, but his voice is too clean to really make you believe him. Bruce Robison sounds like he's been crushed by life, and that's what you need for a song like this. Kelly Willis sings the background vocals, and you can almost believe she is the wife. Truly haunting stuff.

Anyway, I've alternately wanted to sing the last line of the chorus in the general direction of the angry electorate, and Ted Cruz. It's possible I'm just out of touch. It's also more likely that a great mass of the people is incapable of doing anything besides emoting.

I might chuckle to myself at the general ineptitude of a Mitch McConnell or whomever, but we could be in a golden age of governance, and people would say, "The establishment is out of touch." That's just what we say, like trained, talking golden retrievers.

Let's talk about what this is really about: whites. White people of a certain age don't recognize America anymore. There are too many people of color around. Blacks, Hispanics, whatever. And probably not working, they think. And snuck across the border, too. In my day, we didn't take handouts. And you could make it, if you worked hard. And on it goes.

And don't even get us started on Obama! The birther stuff wasn't just anti-black racism; it was amplified by the fact that he seems vaguely foreign. The truth is, though, Obama isn't any more or less a standard-issue Democrat. And where that is problematic is where it's been problematic since 1968 or so: abortion, sexual politics, rejection of traditional values as a social force, et cetera.

None of those problematic things has changed all that much. But we have changed. Some of us can't even see a picture of the president or the First Lady without getting angry. Not all of you can look me in the eye, and tell me that anger is for the aborted babies. Stop lying to yourself.

It would be different if we articulated our opposition to the prevailing ideas as part of a philosophy of what human beings are to do, and to be. But at the moment, the issues are just tribal markers, and the tribe is unhinged. Obama, Reid, and Pelosi? In the end,--even if most people don't want to say it--the whole matter is that they just aren't like us. We don't need respect, we don't need arguments, for the subhuman. This is the darkness of our hearts, this is the discomfort of who we are.

I need you to know that I seriously thought about joining the Democratic Party as of last night. John Kasich jokingly said some weeks ago that he was in the wrong party primary. What a sad commentary on the party of Lincoln, that such a kind man, such a human man, is out of place among us! I nearly want to cry at the thought of it.

Lord, have mercy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...