Skip to main content

Be My Rest, O Jesus

If I said I was "concerned," that would be an understatement. I had trouble focusing during Mass today. I'm deeply convinced that we should all pay attention to the political process, and participate with fully-formed Catholic consciences. And in that, I forcefully reject any notion of making the perfect the enemy of the good.

I gave the Lord every feeling of agitation and anger. I have to surrender. I have to trust. And I am. In that, I will grow.

I may regard the advice to look for virtue elsewhere than in this sphere as nothing more than pious nonsense that shifts responsibility in the face of unreason, but perhaps people who say this are just tired. I'm tired, too.

But He's there. He lifts me up when I don't want to go on. He reminds me that he's not going anywhere. I remember his voice on the day his vicar decided it was time to go. He spoke to me in the silence. That was the day I realized I was a child, and God the Father was my father. I was 33 years old, and every shred of human love I could muster was streaming down my face. It was for this man, Benedict XVI, and I wasn't sure it was going to stop. But I went on. In God's mercy, I went on.

Therefore, even if the temporary triumph of evil men makes us weep, perhaps like we never have before, even if our very nation is taken away from us, Jesus will be there. And that's more than a platitude; He told me, as he has all the other times.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...