Skip to main content

Voting Is Actually Important Sometimes

I went to the Republican caucus in my area yesterday. In this state, our primary is just for show. The real action is at the later caucuses that few know about. Well, I went with some friends, to do anything we could to vote against Trump. The "all Trump" delegates prevailed, 61-55. I hope our friends at the state convention can cancel out what was done here. I did what I could.

I was proud to see the unity among the not Trump faction. They didn't even want to know who we had supported. The man who organized turned to us, and said with a hint of resignation, "Thank you for voting for sanity."

By the way, I found the black Republicans. There may be many more than you realize. I think GOP candidates going forward should not appeal to coded language about race, in a foolhardy attempt to get older whites. These black Republicans would have run through a wall for Cruz or Kasich. And it was especially apparent yesterday that a large portion of the anti-Trump sentiment was explicitly Christian. I can't speak to the religious sentiments of the Trump supporters, but they really were angry. They were offended at the very idea of anyone less than thrilled at the prospect of giving all the delegates to the man who was rejected by 2/3 of the voters.

I did what I could. Had I known what would happen, I would have done more to get 7 people to come along.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...