Skip to main content

An Ordinary Moment

I had some time today in the morning, so I made a morning offering. I would love to tell you that this happens every day, but that's a lie. But there I was, and I was thankful for grace, which seems to be more plentiful than my disgust with myself. Perhaps that truly is the story of God's love for all of us: abundant life more plentiful than our disgust with ourselves.

I don't mean to suggest that we don't do things which offend the holiness of God; read the Catechism concerning sins of various sorts for five minutes if you have a doubt. But we overdo everything in this culture, including self-condemnation. It seems holy to drone on and on about how terrible you are. It's really just pride. The truth is, I'm on the knife's edge of my worst self at any given moment, but it is that worst me that Christ knows and loves, giving His life to save. Personally, I don't want to hear about Christ's "finished work" from the lot of you. If you don't have a message to meet me there, if you can't give me good news there, you don't have gospel; it's something else.

It's why the priest said, "Don't give up, don't be discouraged!" That's what Christ would say. If Christ wanted you to win, that's what he would say. Can you imagine a Calvinist tennis fan at Wimbledon yesterday, addressing Roger Federer during the first two sets? "Well, you suck anyway, but you're a tennis player by virtue of the finished work of Rod Laver." Truly inspiring stuff.

[I think you just compared Rod Laver to Jesus.--ed.] That I did. It may or may not get the point across, but it'll have to do. Meanwhile, I'm going to see if I can string some good moments together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...