Skip to main content

Why Catholic?

I got asked this today. I like this question, but I like it even more when cradle Catholics ask me. Why am I Catholic? Because it's true.
.
Readers of this blog, however, tend to be Christians, so they don't need to have the concept of divinely revealed truth explained. They do want to know how it can be known that the Catholic Church is the Church, and therefore, why refraining from joining it is a grave sin.

To be as brief as I can, it is not reasonable to believe that the commonalities between various Christian communities--not their differences, mind you--can be explained without reference to the Catholic Church. Understand that differences are easy to explain. A guy says one thing, or a community says one thing, and someone else disagrees. Disagrees passionately enough to start over. It's happened often enough, the details aren't that important. But dogma is an important thing. Most of the time you see this word, it's someone mocking someone else's slavish adherence to some belief or ideology. But its meaning in theology isn't as loaded. A dogma is a statement or formulation of supernaturally revealed truth that would not otherwise be known, but for the fact that God has revealed it. The fact that God is a Trinity of Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, this is a dogma of the faith. Christ's resurrection from the dead on the third day after His death on the cross is another example. I would not otherwise know these things; I cannot reason my way to the Trinity, or scores of other things.

Now, many things are shared between Christians dogmatically, and we are grateful for those things. But some things are not. Many of my Christian brethren would not affirm the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, body and soul into Heaven, but that is also a dogma. So we come to realize with a little exploring that different people disagree what counts as dogma. To put it very simply, we have different sources and different methods for knowing what the content of revealed truth is. This problem is no small matter, actually. Faith, properly speaking, is assent to what has been revealed. If Christians do not agree on what has been revealed, then they do not profess a common faith, and those who know nothing of God will not understand what to believe, and why it's important.

I could easily account for my old Reformed and Presbyterian profession: we broke away from those horribly misguided and possibly unsaved Roman Catholics when the great Martin Luther threw off their authority, and got us back to the Scriptures. Actually, that's a pretty standard Protestant storyline, and each group alters the details--and the heroes and villains--to taste.

For one thing, is it true? What if it weren't? How do I find out? Let's even suppose that many people had a sincere desire for moral reform. Why would the dogmas change, if all we need to do is stop sinning?

We had said a great many things about the Catholic Church which were either untrue, or were feelings that couldn't be proved one way or the other. If what we know of the ancient Church is Catholic in their way of believing and doing, then we must condemn them as ignorant at best, because the same sickness that afflicts the Catholic Church has grabbed them also. What we cannot do is exhort ourselves to learn from the ancients, whilst believing that what they professed is impure at best. We had become experts at picking and choosing from the lives of the ancient fathers in ways that would make the most ardent "cafeteria Catholic" blush. Yet perhaps they seem Catholic because they are. Dogma cannot change; it may be formed in feeble human words, but either God said it, or He did not.

It became a much more plausible account to say that we had truncated the faith of the ancients as Protestants, because it became too difficult or strange. We came up with a story to hide the shame of following the men who had attempted to tear the Church into pieces. Those who came later wouldn't know better. We called our story "the gospel" and "the invisible Church throughout the ages."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con

A Friend I Once Had, And The Dogmatic Principle

 I once had a friend, a dear friend, who helped me with personal care needs in college. Reformed Presbyterian to the core. When I was a Reformed Presbyterian, I visited their church many times. We were close. I still consider his siblings my friends. (And siblings in the Lord.) Nevertheless, when I began to consider the claims of the Catholic Church to be the Church Christ founded, he took me out to breakfast. He implied--but never quite stated--that we would not be brothers, if I sought full communion with the Catholic Church. That came true; a couple years later, I called him on his birthday, as I'd done every year for close to ten of them. He didn't recognize my number, and it was the most strained, awkward phone call I have ever had. We haven't spoken since. We were close enough that I attended the rehearsal dinner for his wedding. His wife's uncle is a Catholic priest. I remember reading a blog post of theirs, that early in their relationship, she told him of the p
My wheelchair was nearly destroyed by a car last night. That's a bit melodramatic, I suppose, because it is intact and undamaged. But we'd left my power chair ("Red Sam" in the official designation) in-between the maze of cars parked out front of Chris Yee's house for Bible Study. [Isn't that a Protestant Bible study?--ed.] They are good friends, and it is not under any official auspices. [Not BSF?--ed.] They're BSF guys, but it's not a BSF study. Anyway, I wasn't worried; I made a joke about calling the vendor the next day: "What seems to be the problem, sir?" 'Well, it was destroyed by a car.' As it happened, a guy bumped into it at slow speed. His car got the worst of it. And this only reinforces what I've said for a solid 13 years [Quickie commercial coming] If you want a power wheelchair that lasts, get a Quickie. They're fast, obviously, and they're tanks. Heck, my old one still would work, but the batteries ar