Skip to main content

The Days Of Barack Obama

I have taken my title as an adaptation of a book title by Jim Bishop, "The Days Of Martin Luther King, Jr." The book is a bit hagiographic, but much of it is deserved. I wanted to evoke Dr.  King, because much of what we owe to Obama is in fulfillment of a dream, certainly articulated by King.

We cannot possibly overestimate the magnitude of what has happened. Every time a black kid dreams about being the president, they'll think of Obama. Every time the teachers exhort the children to study hard, that maybe this is the only ticket out of difficult circumstances, Obama will be in the background. Maybe one less person will tell the kid to live in reality, and to leave dreams and hopes behind. What's that worth? Are you sure you know how much?

I hope they put up a picture in every black school.

You could say much in criticism, and it remains true: he was a better symbol than a president. But what a symbol!

Fair to say that the ceaseless attacks on religious liberty and passionate advocacy of abortion serve as massive counter-signs to the witness of his own beautiful family.

War has spread, not receded. Unity is a word, but not a reality. Falsehoods about the nature of marriage and the family are the law of the land. There will be a reckoning for this.

But I find that I am not happy he is gone. I already miss him. He's nothing, if not predictable. There will be change, and there is always hope. He spoke of them, and he meant it, even if he doesn't know what they mean exactly.

May God bless and protect the 44th President of the United States of America, Barack Hussein Obama.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...