Skip to main content

Love Is The Answer, Redux

I was thinking about my favorite movies, and especially what makes them effective in terms of pathos. The writer sets up for the things he wants you to feel; he or she seeds the ground, so to speak, so that when the big climax comes, it doesn't feel forced, cheap, or silly. One of the great things about the troika of William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, and DeForest Kelley--better known as Kirk, Spock, and McCoy--is that those actors spent a lot of time thinking about their characters in relation to the others. What would it be like if I were this guy, and these other two guys were my closest friends in the universe? Everything you would say, or could say, changes as a result. In the greatest scene in Star Trek history--the climax of The Wrath of Khan--the whole thing was set up by another scene in Spock's quarters. Kirk just found out that someone has blocked his radio transmission with Dr. Carol Marcus, as they tried to find out who is playing games with Marcus's Genesis project. The Enterprise is ordered to investigate, and now Admiral Kirk is authorized to take command. (Captain Spock is technically in command, training Starfleet cadets.)

Kirk is emotionally invested in convincing Spock that he has no interest in poaching his command. He's possibly feeling guilt from having done so many years before, when he took command from an inexperienced Will Decker at the outset of the V'Ger probe crisis. Spock first says his first iconic axiom in response to Kirk's continued resistance to take command. "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." Kirk continues his protest, and Spock says, "Jim, you proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan; I have no ego to bruise." Spock tells him that his "first best destiny" is commanding a starship, and quite probably, the Enterprise. Kirk never should have accepted the promotion to Admiral, Spock says. And then Spock ends the scene with this: "You are my superior officer. You are also my friend. I have been, and always shall be, yours." Kirk takes his next steps boldly, in the confidence of that support and loyalty. When Spock later sacrifices himself to save his comrades using the same words he used in the prior scene, Kirk realizes the depth of Spock's love, for him, and for the crew. Powerful bookends.

As a side-note, many people remind us rightly that love is not a feeling, but a determined willing of the good for another. Observers often say these things in response to a perceived pervasive sentimentalism without content. Yet it is also true that strong emotions of thankfulness and affection are appropriate responses to heroic acts of love. I can recall reading a story of one of many Christians who sheltered Jews during the Nazi reign of terror. The unalloyed justice of that action overwhelms one, as well it should.

Feelings are not the whole story, but they are valuable and good. In fact, when people have inappropriate emotional reactions to reality, that can be the first sign that something is wrong. In any case, I have observed a kind of spiritualizing of stoicism. Expressing emotion is for Them, and you know how those people are. It spills into all sorts of areas in life. If I become aware of some injustice, as a matter of emotion and intellect, I should desire to address the injustice, thinking of possible ways to do that. There is no purpose in prattling on about being people of "logic" and "facts,"--unlike others--when what one intends to say is, "I don't care about this." You may find yourself morally at fault in such an admission. Yet it's better than hiding the truth. The Love that begets all other loves can free us from that fault as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...